Question Getting a FINRA Series 7 License With a Felony Record

Hello forum! I am curious on my current situation. When I was 22 I was convicted of a third degree felony "Harassment of a public servant" (In short I spit in a cops face when he arrested me). I was 22 and drunk and acting completely idiotic. None the less it is what it is. When I was 20 I made a "False Police Report" which was a Class A or B misdemeanor. (In short I told the police a lie in a non-criminal situation) (Long story). Now I want to get my series 7 license. I know I must wait 10 years in order to obtain this license from a felony charge. I will wait until I am 32. I am 26 now. Which I am assuming by that time I will be ok. Right? Also I noticed that on the disqualifications for a series 7 it says about certain misdemeanors. Would a "false police report" be something that would stop me for life from getting this? Or would the 10 year marker still apply? Also what would my chances of actually getting a job be in the state of Michigan or New York IF I could get a series 6 or 7 (or both) license with my past criminal record? Also as far as a juvenile record goes that happened when I was 14 or 15 (Non-felonies) would that come up even though its a sealed record as a juvenile? All of this happened in Texas. Thank you everyone in advance!

Default Re: Getting a FINRA Series 7 License With a Felony Record

It's been a while since I looked at the FINRA disqualification standards (not since I obtained licenses back in 2007) but I think the false police report is more of an issue for licensing because it indicates a propensity towards dishonesty.

Default Re: Getting a FINRA Series 7 License With a Felony Record

Quote Quoting AdamK
    View Post
    It's been a while since I looked at the FINRA disqualification standards (not since I obtained licenses back in 2007) but I think the false police report is more of an issue for licensing because it indicates a propensity towards dishonesty.
    This +1. Crimes that indicate a propensity towards dishonesty or poor ethical/moral character are a huge deal with things like this. You will be advising people on securities and other investment vehicles and having a past propensity to "lie" will be a huge negative against you. Additionally, I believe that in order to take the Series 7 you need to already be employed by a FINRA-member employer who will "sponsor" you to take the test. Perhaps you'd get some better answers by trying to speak to some perspective employers about how they would handle it.

1. Sponsored Links