Default Pulled Over Without Cause, Officer Claims He Knew I Didn't Have a Full License

Small town cop in Mass circled the gas station I was at with 2 friends as we were walking out of the store. We saw him so weren't dumb and walked to my car and got it. I have my jol so obviously I shouldn't be driving people so don't get me wrong, I take responsibility for my actions but anyway I drove normally and not irrational and went up the road about a mile still not speeding or any violation besides passenger restriction. He told me "he knew" I didn't have my full license and that I looked to you. So he gave me a 35 dollar citation and I'm brining it to court. My question is did he have any reasonable suspicion to pull me over, and if his suspicion was me being young wouldn't that be profiling? Any info on this would be great. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I looked too young*

Default Re: Cop Pulled Me Over for No Reason. Said "He Knew" I Didn't Have My Full License (J

A police officer can do a certain amount of "profiling" and it's supported by the law.

Was it your car? He probably ran the tag. If not, your youthful appearance gave him the probable cause he needed to make the stop.

But hey, go tell the judge you were profiled.

Default Re: Cop Pulled Me Over for No Reason. Said "He Knew" I Didn't Have My Full License (J

If he reasonably thought you appeared too young to have a full license and that you were in violation of the JOL license then yes, he probably had reasonable suspicion to pull you over. The threshold to prove reasonable suspicion is incredibly low.

Default Re: Pulled Over Without Cause, Officer Claims He Knew I Didn't Have a Full License

I live in a small town also (10k). I can assure you some of the police can pick out a majority of the newly licensed drivers based on their being locals. Their kids attend the same schools as mine. We graduated from the same school within a few years and have friends in common so we know who's kid is who's and what sports they are in at high school. Things like that. In fact, every car I own has something on the back that a local officer can use to identify me and my wife as locals, so we are excused for a potential transgression they might have cited another for.

Default Re: Pulled Over Without Cause, Officer Claims He Knew I Didn't Have a Full License

I live and work in a small town and I tend to have a pretty good idea who does and does not have a driver's license. I strongly suspect that the officer here had a similar idea as well. It's also possible that he ran your name before the stop to confirm it. In small towns it's not always that difficult to locate the name and age of most of the residents - particularly if they have had prior contact in some way or the officer knows them. I can honestly say that I know well over half the kids in my town, so it really isn't all that tough.

As has been mentioned, the reasonable suspicion to detain a driver and vehicle is relatively low and since his suspicion was confirmed by your not having a valid license to transport these kids around, you appear to have nothing to contest.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links