Default Entering U.s on Visitor Visa (B1/B2) and then Convert to Student (F-1) Visa

Hi,
    My brother from India has a B2 visitor visa valid till March 2015 and he is applying for an Bachelors in Business Administration program at a Univeristy in Virginia for the September 2015 intake.He has Not applied for his F-1 student visa yet. based on this I have 2 queries as follows:

(1) Should he apply for his B2 visitor visa extension so that his visitor visa is extended beyond March 2015 before applying for F-1 visa? Is it possible to have 2 visa status at the same time i.e B2 visitor visa AND F-1 student visa?

(2) He has plans of visiting U.S in February 2015. Considering the fact that he does go for his visitor visa extension by January 31,2015 and indeed gets visitor visa extension approved for another 5 years, then can he apply for F-1 student visa in March 2015 from U.S.A?

Thanks Ahead of time!!!

Default Re: Entering U.s on Visitor Visa (B1/B2) and then Convert to Student (F-1) Visa

Someone cannot get a visa stamping in the US.

Applying for admission and receiving it are very different things. Look at the acceptance rates at selective schools such as the UVA. He would be unable to obtain a F-2 without I-20 documentation from the university.

It is possible to ave 2 stampings but one can only be on one status in the US at a time.

Change of status from B-2 to F-1 is possible if the intention is properly documented at entry; this would typically be a B-2 entry to decide on a school with subsequent enrollment. It takes many months, and he would not be permitted to enroll unless his COS was approved.

If he wants to have a B-2 visa, he should certainly apply soon.

Entering on B2 is not going to guarantee an F-1 stamping or status.

1. Sponsored Links