Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Car Towed from Hotel Parking Lot With No Warning Signs

I recently had my car towed from a local Holiday Inn where I was not a guest. I parked there around 11:30 and the tow took place at 3:00AM. Upon briefly looking at Texas tow laws and regulations it seems as though signs must be placed in the entrance/exit of the lot. This Holiday Inn however has no signage whatsoever on the property in reference to towing. I had to call the hotel directly and be given a phone number to the tow company since no such information is posted. The only signs on the property and parking lot are ones that mention locking your car and hiding valuables. My vehicle was parked in a single space not obstructing anything and was amongst dozens of others cars parked similarly as well . I understand that I have 14 days to file an appeal and have my case heard before a judge. Due to the fact that there is no signage mentioning towing does the constitute an illegal tow according to Texas law?

Default Re: Car Towed from Hotel Parking Lot With No Warning Signs

Quote Quoting Unitedbit
    View Post
    I recently had my car towed from a local Holiday Inn where I was not a guest. I parked there around 11:30 and the tow took place at 3:00AM. Upon briefly looking at Texas tow laws and regulations it seems as though signs must be placed in the entrance/exit of the lot. This Holiday Inn however has no signage whatsoever on the property in reference to towing. I had to call the hotel directly and be given a phone number to the tow company since no such information is posted. The only signs on the property and parking lot are ones that mention locking your car and hiding valuables. My vehicle was parked in a single space not obstructing anything and was amongst dozens of others cars parked similarly as well . I understand that I have 14 days to file an appeal and have my case heard before a judge. Due to the fact that there is no signage mentioning towing does the constitute an illegal tow according to Texas law?
    Even with signage I don't see how this tow could have been valid since you were a guest of the hotel.

OP was not a guest. That is why the car was towed.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    OP was not a guest. That is why the car was towed.
    I misread that the first time around.

How do you know they did not comply with:
    b) A parking facility owner is considered to have given notice under Subsection (a)(3) if:

(1) conspicuous notice has been attached to the vehicle's front windshield or, if the vehicle has no front windshield, to a conspicuous part of the vehicle stating:

(A) that the vehicle is in a parking space in which the vehicle is not authorized to be parked;

(B) description of all other unauthorized areas in the parking facility;

(C) that the vehicle will be towed at the expense of the owner or operator of the vehicle if it remains in an unauthorized area of the parking facility; and

(D) a telephone number that is answered 24 hours a day to enable the owner or operator of the vehicle to locate the vehicle; and
    http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/towinglaw.htm#2308251

View Post
    How do you know they did not comply with:

http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/towinglaw.htm#2308251
    Without any signs posted how would one determine what cars are authorized to park there and which ones are not?

They ask guests to register vehicles. Were you visiting the hotel or a nearby business?

Irrelevant if they put a notice on the car. As noted, you are often asked for the the make, color and plate of the guest vehicles upon registration.

Quote Quoting Unitedbit
    View Post
    Without any signs posted how would one determine what cars are authorized to park there and which ones are not?

View Post
    Irrelevant if they put a notice on the car. As noted, you are often asked for the the make, color and plate of the guest vehicles upon registration.

Except as provided by Subsection (a)(2)(B) and Section 2308.304 or 2308.305, an unauthorized vehicle may not be towed under Section 2308.252(a)(1) or booted under Section 2308.257 unless a sign prohibiting unauthorized vehicles on a parking facility is:

(1) facing and conspicuously visible to the driver of a vehicle that enters the facility;
    (2) located:
    (A) on the right or left side of each driveway or curb-cut through which a vehicle can enter the facility, including an entry from an alley abutting the facility; or
    (B) at intervals along the entrance so that no entrance is farther than 25 feet from a sign if:
    (i) curbs, access barriers, landscaping, or driveways do not establish definite vehicle entrances onto a parking facility from a public roadway other than an alley; and
    (ii) the width of an entrance exceeds 35 feet;

There was no notice on my car.

How do you know? You were not there when it was towed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast