Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a Prospective Buyer Bypass the Real Estate Agent and Deal With the Seller

My question involves real estate located in the State of: SC

I am interested in a property in my area. In the last 6 weeks, the listing agent has ignored three emails, failed to respond to two phone messages and after finally answering his phone, cancelled two showings.

Can I contact the owner (I have an address) myself and cut the agent out? I'm pretty sure I can't, but thought I'd ask, and vent a bit. Sounds petty, I guess, but this is getting old. It's small, inexpensive property, so maybe not worth his while...

Default Re: Can One Bypass a Real Estate Agent

Why would I deal with someone who called me up to VENT at me. I'd tell you not to call me again and hang up on you. Even if you were nice, I'd tell you to contact my broker. I employed a broker for several reasons...one of which is not having to deal with you.

But if the owner does chose to look at an offer from you, the broker still gets his commission so you're not hurting anybody by your games.

my understanding is that the seller enters into a contract with the agent to sell the property

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Why would I deal with someone who called me up to VENT at me. I'd tell you not to call me again and hang up on you. Even if you were nice, I'd tell you to contact my broker. I employed a broker for several reasons...one of which is not having to deal with you.

But if the owner does chose to look at an offer from you, the broker still gets his commission so you're not hurting anybody by your games.
    I am pretty sure that the OP meant that he/she was venting here...not that he/she intended to vent to the owner.

Well, one again I've managed to annoy you, flyingron. Not sure why, what I meant (apparently I didn't word it understandably) was that I was asking on this forum, and venting a bit, _here_.
    I never intended to call the owner, which is why I mentioned an address. I see your point, thank you.

If _I_ had hired a broker, I think I would want to know that the broker was pretty much stone-walling the sale of the property, but maybe that's just me. I've tried to connect for 6 weeks.

And it really isn't a matter of games, I am interested in buying the property. I just can't seem to get the agent to show it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

- - - Updated - - -

tonynewman, yes, that's what I figured. I know it's mean-spirited, and won't work, but I'm annoyed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, llworking, that was what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. I would just like to be able to see the property, and make an offer if I like it. But, there are other properties, and maybe I should just take the hint.

actually my mother who worked in the industry till she retired a few years ago was talking to me about this subject just the other day,, she said something to the effect that you can go find yourself a different agent to show you the house,, and that they all kind of work together,, even if they are not in the same company,

what happens is that you can go get a new agent, and the new agent will have to pay a commission to the "listing agent" so you might be better off finding an agent that always sells lower valued properties and let him/her contact the listing agent for you and get the code to the lock box etc.

you can find a new agent right on Clist that sells the lower valued properties pretty easy and he will be willing to help you out a lot more im betting.

I have another realtor that I have dealt with before, and she's great. I had considered contacting her, because I did know that a split commission is possible. I bought my first property from her under those circumstances. To be honest, this property really isn't worth her time. And if he won't respond to me, I am not confident he'd respond to someone who would be getting part of "his" money.

It is vacant land, and I've seen much of it from neighboring property, and was on it several years ago with the former owner, now deceased.

Thanks for the input, it confirms what I was thinking.

oh im sure if hes the listing agent he will respond to another agent,, because he will just collect his cut without doing any paperwork or showing the house/taking up his time,, so its really a win win for him at that point,,, rather then to deal with a buyer directly,, as it will be the new agent/your agent that will due most all of the paper work and take the time with you to look at the house.

Default Re: Can a Prospective Buyer Bypass the Real Estate Agent and Deal With the Seller

Quote Quoting Catmad
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: SC

I am interested in a property in my area. In the last 6 weeks, the listing agent has ignored three emails, failed to respond to two phone messages and after finally answering his phone, cancelled two showings.

Can I contact the owner (I have an address) myself and cut the agent out? I'm pretty sure I can't, but thought I'd ask, and vent a bit. Sounds petty, I guess, but this is getting old. It's small, inexpensive property, so maybe not worth his while...
    You can do whatever you like. You have no contract with the agent.

If a listing agent doesn't want to sell to a perspective buyer, there is something else going on no matter how little they will get from the deal.

Default Re: Can a Prospective Buyer Bypass the Real Estate Agent and Deal With the Seller

To be honest, it sounds like he may have this property scoped out for purchase by himself.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast