Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Reporting Somebody for Checking Your Credit Without Permission

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Texas

My wife found the inquiries on our credit reports and I contacted the insurance company's main number to get more information. They were able to trace a quote that was started out of my wife's ex-boyfriend's agency. To clarify, these were "soft pulls" which I'm told do not contain personal information, however the representative stated that these are generally not run without consent. Obviously, we would not have asked this guy for insurance so he has no business pulling our credit. He has a history of stalking but nothing that we've been able to prove in court. I'm waiting on a call back from his district manager who is supposed to be investigating how the quotes were started. I'm just looking for any advice as to next course of action. Can we do anything? What could happen to him?

P.S. I plan on calling the Texas Department of Insurance but I want to make sure I'm going about things in the right order.

Default Re: Reporting Somebody for Checking Your Credit Without Permission

You're putting the cart before the horse with your high dudgeon.

You don't even know what happened and already you want to bring divine punishment down on somebody.

Given that your wife's ex-boyfriend worked at the agency it strikes me as possible that your wife asked him to quote the insurance either directly or indirectly at the time and might just have forgot about it.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You're putting the cart before the horse with your high dudgeon.

You don't even know what happened and already you want to bring divine punishment down on somebody.

Given that your wife's ex-boyfriend worked at the agency it strikes me as possible that your wife asked him to quote the insurance either directly or indirectly at the time and might just have forgot about it.
    Seriously?? My wife and I have been married for 14 years and he has never let go. This inquiry happened last year. He's been stalking her off an on for years. He is the LAST person on Earth she would contact for an insurance quote. It seems you've put the cart before the horse in your assumption that you understand the back story. I'm looking for advice on what I wrote in my first post, not what you THINK is going on.

Quote Quoting Scriptd
    View Post
    I'm just looking for any advice as to next course of action. Can we do anything? What could happen to him?

P.S. I plan on calling the Texas Department of Insurance but I want to make sure I'm going about things in the right order.
    Exactly what information the ex-boyfriend got is important. The requirements for access to the reports depends a great deal on exactly what kind of report was obtained. There is a big difference between getting a full credit report and merely getting skip trace information. You and your wife may certainly complain about this to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the new federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The FTC is the agency that wrote the regulations for the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), which is the Act that regulates consumer reports like credit reports, and it still has some jurisdiction over that. The CFPB has since assumed much of the jurisdiction for matters relating to consumer finance (credit and related matters) and is likely the primary federal agency to deal with this sort of thing. I wouldn't get my hopes up that these agencies will do much, particularly if no harm resulted from the inquiries. But it costs nothing to make the complaints and perhaps something will come of it.

Apart from doing that, unless you suffered some kind of significant harm from it, there’s not much else to do. Even if he accessed the report improperly, without significant damages suing him over this would cost you a lot of money for no real benefit.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Exactly what information the ex-boyfriend got is important. The requirements for access to the reports depends a great deal on exactly what kind of report was obtained. There is a big difference between getting a full credit report and merely getting skip trace information. You and your wife may certainly complain about this to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the new federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The FTC is the agency that wrote the regulations for the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), which is the Act that regulates consumer reports like credit reports, and it still has some jurisdiction over that. The CFPB has since assumed much of the jurisdiction for matters relating to consumer finance (credit and related matters) and is likely the primary federal agency to deal with this sort of thing. I wouldn't get my hopes up that these agencies will do much, particularly if no harm resulted from the inquiries. But it costs nothing to make the complaints and perhaps something will come of it.

Apart from doing that, unless you suffered some kind of significant harm from it, there’s not much else to do. Even if he accessed the report improperly, without significant damages suing him over this would cost you a lot of money for no real benefit.
    Taxing,

Thank you for your reply. I assumed there would not be much we could do but I wanted further advice to make sure I wasn't missing something. We have a history of dealing with this guy and he always seems to do just enough to mess with my wife emotionally without giving us anything to truly go after him for. It is EXTREMELY frustrating. I will be filing complaints to the two agencies you have suggested and also contacting the TDI to make them aware of the situation.

Quote Quoting Scriptd
    View Post
    My question involves insurance law for the state of: Texas

My wife found the inquiries on our credit reports and I contacted the insurance company's main number to get more information. They were able to trace a quote that was started out of my wife's ex-boyfriend's agency. To clarify, these were "soft pulls" which I'm told do not contain personal information, however the representative stated that these are generally not run without consent. Obviously, we would not have asked this guy for insurance so he has no business pulling our credit. He has a history of stalking but nothing that we've been able to prove in court. I'm waiting on a call back from his district manager who is supposed to be investigating how the quotes were started. I'm just looking for any advice as to next course of action. Can we do anything? What could happen to him?

Your discussion with his district manager may do more to help you than anything else. You won't necessarily be informed of anything, but insurance companies take unapproved accessing of people's credit information quite seriously. Its going to cause his agency some problems.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Your discussion with his district manager may do more to help you than anything else. You won't necessarily be informed of anything, but insurance companies take unapproved accessing of people's credit information quite seriously. Its going to cause his agency some problems.
    Agreed. I've spoken to two different people in trying to obtain the information I have so far and both of them sounded concerned and emphatically stated that they do not condone that type of behavior. I'm just hoping they do a little more than a slap on the wrist. I want to send a message that will get him to finally leave us alone.

Quote Quoting Scriptd
    View Post
    Seriously?? My wife and I have been married for 14 years and he has never let go. This inquiry happened last year. He's been stalking her off an on for years. He is the LAST person on Earth she would contact for an insurance quote. It seems you've put the cart before the horse in your assumption that you understand the back story.
    Would have been helpful if you had presented the back story. Your first post makes it seem like this is a recent occurrence that you are just beginning to investigate. Since your question required speculation, I speculated.

The information you get here is only as good as the information you give.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Would have been helpful if you had presented the back story. Your first post makes it seem like this is a recent occurrence that you are just beginning to investigate. Since your question required speculation, I speculated.

The information you get here is only as good as the information you give.
    First, the back story is not part of this situation and I shouldn't need to include that type of detail because it does not pertain to the question I asked. Second, I did just start the investigation because my wife just found the hits on our credit reports a few days ago when she did our annual credit check. I said in my initial post that her ex has a history of stalking, I'm sorry you missed that. I also said that "WE" would never contact him for an insurance quote. From that, you inferred that my wife and I do not communicate and that I would somehow be unaware that she requested a quote from someone who has a history of stalking her, and also, that I am the type of person who would jump the gun and seek legal advice without doing some preliminary investigation myself.

If you are a lawyer, then I'm a little concerned for your clients. If you are not a lawyer, why respond with the type of unintelligent response you provided when I'm obviously seeking legal advice. Further response is not required, although I have a suspicion, I have not heard the last of you.

Quote Quoting Scriptd
    View Post
    First, the back story is not part of this situation and I shouldn't need to include that type of detail because it does not pertain to the question I asked. Second, I did just start the investigation because my wife just found the hits on our credit reports a few days ago when she did our annual credit check. I said in my initial post that her ex has a history of stalking, I'm sorry you missed that. I also said that "WE" would never contact him for an insurance quote. From that, you inferred that my wife and I do not communicate and that I would somehow be unaware that she requested a quote from someone who has a history of stalking her, and also, that I am the type of person who would jump the gun and seek legal advice without doing some preliminary investigation myself.

If you are a lawyer, then I'm a little concerned for your clients. If you are not a lawyer, why respond with the type of unintelligent response you provided when I'm obviously seeking legal advice. Further response is not required, although I have a suspicion, I have not heard the last of you.
    I think that you are seriously overreacting to what was posted by adjusterjack. He was completely right that we can only give opinions based on the information that we have been given. The fact that you have been married for 14 years is very significant in this situation. If you ask for advice anywhere else, you might want to consider leading with that information...because it WAS very pertinent to your question, whether you realize it or not.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast