Default Felony Possession of Firearms

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

Ok here goes. My father had a felony drug charge over 20 years ago. He was recently arrested on felony commercial gambling charges and out on bond. The only bond condition he broke was "not to violate any laws of the state..etc"

Now I know he did by possessing firearms, albeit unintentionally. What happened was that his friend and my brother went on a parent child hunt, while he uses a bow to hunt the others used guns. The guns were all left in a truck after they were done. He borrowed the truck because it was 4-wheel drive to get back to some land so that he could bow hunt, not really thinking about the guns being in the back. Two game wardens caught him and arrested him for the guns. What am I to expect? Do they look at the situation and realize he wasn't committing any crimes? Or is it a mandatory sentence? I've looked it up and it says 1-5 years, but then I ran across the law of Armed Career Criminal Act. Help me out please. Thank you!

Default Re: Felony Possession of Firearms

If he was convicted of the felony 20 years ago then he likely lost his firearms priveleges for life under federal and state law and the gambling charge wouldn't have mattered.

"Do they look at the situation and realize he wasn't committing any crimes?"

No, they look at the situation and realize he WAS committing a crime.

Help YOU out?

It's your father that needs the help. The help of a good attorney. He could be looking at some serious time here.

Why are they so hard on people? I could understand if he had a violent history, assault or armed robbery etc... But accidental possession while he was hunting with a bow, that's not what I would consider justice. He should have been more careful, but we all make mistakes. It's just hard realizing how tough they are on these types of things.

Is his attorney in the gambling case aware of this? He may be looking at a bond revokation hearing.

Because someone who keeps committing felonies shows a severe disregard for the law and safety of others.

Quote Quoting sailence
    View Post
    Why are they so hard on people? I could understand if he had a violent history, assault or armed robbery etc... But accidental possession while he was hunting with a bow, that's not what I would consider justice. He should have been more careful, but we all make mistakes. It's just hard realizing how tough they are on these types of things.

lots of these things fall under the zero tolerance/mandatory laws, they can even sweep up legal gun owners as well, example, a woman a few months back with a legal concealed weapon with permit crossed state lines forgot to remove her gun /unload, when pulled over in the next state she went to jail and was looking at years in prison due to the zero tolerance policy the state had, in her case I think the governor stepped in though,, but in your case I don't see that happening. get a good lawyer at once

Thanks for the advice

1. Sponsored Links