Default Can You Get SSI if Working Part-Time and Taking College Classes

I attend school part-time, however, my lawyer told me that if I am serious about winning my case I should consider dropping out or only taking one class. I'm already making slow progress toward my degree as it is, and taking one class at a time would mean I'd be ineligible for ALL financial aid (problematic since I'm financing my degree by myself and don't have the credit history for a private loan). I want to stay in school, ideally taking about nine credits or so. Has anyone here had success (or encountered difficulties) applying for Social Security as a college student? Do I really need to drop out to prove that I am "disabled"? My college gives me a few hours per week at a work study job, and my lawyer also advised that I quit this position since it makes it seem like I am fully employable. My parents provide limited financial support so I would be screwed financially if this were the case. The issue isn't that I can't work at all, it's that I can't be engaged in activity for 40 hours a week (whether class, work, or a combination thereof). Is there any hope that I can win my case?

My disabilities are a combination of mental health conditions, a nonverbal learning disability, autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, and motor coordination issues. I can't meet performance standards consistently due to these issues and consequently am asked to leave jobs (or need to take off several months during mental health episodes). Even with accommodations and job coaching these problems arise

Default Re: Can You Get SSI if Working Part-Time and Taking College Classes

It sounds like you have plenty of skill and ability to sit at a monitor 30 hours a week watching for theft and calling police or security when you spot it.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    It sounds like you have plenty of skill and ability to sit at a monitor 30 hours a week watching for theft and calling police or security when you spot it.

Interestingly, I looked for surveillance jobs in my area and all required prerequisite skills with advanced surveillance software. If I don't have this specialized knowledge, how can I convince SSA that I wouldn't qualify for a "simple" job like this?

I'll also add that I have severe (and medically documented) attention issues and that a position like this which requires sustained monitoring would not work out well.

You could not. That is one of 2 key jobs a vocational expert will bring up at an ALJ hearing to get you disqualified. No one with a monitoring job sees everything. No one is there to know when you miss something. I don't remember the occupational code number for it but your lawyer should.

To answer the question in the title, yes it is possible that some applicants can get SSI while working part time and taking college classes.

Now, are you one of those people? Maybe. Maybe not. No guarantee. Is there any hope that you will win your case? Hope the synonym for desire, wish. It is not quantifiable. So you can have hope, but it won't get you an approval. I t is also not a great strategy to make such an important decision on something as nebulous as hope.

My opinion is that you should listen to the person you hired to represent you; the person who gets paid if you get paid and not to anyone else.

You must prove by medical evidence that you can't function well enough to perform SGA, which is making at least $1090 a month doing jobs in the national economy. You could be a laundry attendant, ticket taker, work at McDonalds, etc.

SSI is based on disability and income and resources. If your income isn't low enough to qualify for food stamps, or a Pell Grant you won't qualify for the non medical part of SSI. Even if you were to be found disabled, you wouldn't be eligible for SSI if your income and resources exceed the criteria. The max monthly federal amount for SSI is $733. Any income you receive will be factored in and deducted from the $733. You would have to spend your money on rent, utilities and food before you could spend it on anything else, you would also have to have receipts. If you live in someone else home and don't pay your share of the iiving expenses and have receipts to prove it, the $733 would be reduced by one third.

You would have to provide SSA with copies of your bank statements, receipts for rent, utilities, check stubs, proof of resources and their value. The most you can have in resources and still be eligible for SSI is $2,000. Are you receiving care on a regular basis from a psychologist or psychiatrist, following prescribed treatment, meds, etc ?

1. Sponsored Links