Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a Tenant Get Ownership of a Rental Home if the Landlord Isn't Paying Taxes

My question involves real estate located in the State of:Georgia
    I have been renting(sorta renting) a place for an entire year and some months with that year. I found out through the county that the guy we was renting from wasnt paying the taxes( 6 years) nor his house payments( going on 3). When I found out he stop coming picking up rent for about 8 months. The bank hasnt filed any paper work. i was trying to find out how can I get possession of this home because we have been maintaining the home and the yard since we been here. I even still been putting the rent up in the bank and was thinking about paying the taxes. Is there anything I can do to own this property out right.

Default Re: Renting Taxes Hasn't Been Paid for 6 Years and Bank Hasn't Foreclosed After 2

Sure.

You can buy it from the owner.

Default Re: Renting Taxes Hasn't Been Paid for 6 Years and Bank Hasn't Foreclosed After 2

You have no rights to the house just because you've been renting or sorta renting just because the owner hasn't paid taxes and/or the mortgage. It's a fallacy that renters have rights to the rent money just because it isn't remitted to the bank. The business of renting is more involved than just apportioning the rent payments to the bank.

Until either the bank or the tax man takes action against the house, the only way you'll get ownership of the house is if you arrange to buy it from the owner. Of course, the owner will either need to satisfy the bank/tax obligation or you're going to take the property subject to all his debt.

You paying the money to someone other than the landlord means you are in breech of the lease and you could be evicted. You're throwing away your money.

I have been saving the rent money because I haven't seen the owner since I asked him about this because I was concerned about the bank or taxes man repossessing it because I have kids. I have seen him for about 8 months so I'm not in breach he has no address on file he has changed his number but I did check to see if he was the owner and he is. The bank hasn't filed actions going on 3 years. I know taxes hasn't been paid for 6 because I had that pulled. This county is known for letting houses go down even if taxes or mortagage or past due. Just wanted some insight on what I could do, but like I said since then I been putting the rent money up in case he show back up or it sell on county steps.

It is highly unusual that property taxes can go unpaid for 6 years without the county or the township taking action for a tax sale or tax foreclosure.

You could potentially acquire the property through a tax foreclosure. Read up on the procedures here.

In some cases, the mortgage lien can be cancelled.

Ok thanks the county that we stay do a lot of underhanded things. They have had several invesgations. I said the same exact things when I pulled the taxes 6 years

Could you repeat that in English? What does the county have to do with your landlord?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Could you repeat that in English? What does the county have to do with your landlord?
    It has nothing to do with his landlord. It has to do with the unpaid property taxes and a way of acquiring the property through a tax foreclosure.

Until the county goes through the levy and tax sale procedure, there's no way to get ownership of the property. Just because you paid someone else's taxes gives you no rights.
    You're free to go to the tax sale when it happens and bid. The opening bid will be the amount of taxes owed and some administrative costs. You need to have cash (or certified funds such as a cashiers check) to pay for it on the spot. You're not going to be given any credit for money you already paid (other than it decreased the opening bid).

Now lets say you go to the tax sale and nobody else bids on the property so you get it for the minimum bid. It's still not yours. There's a one year right of redemption which means the owner or anybody else with a lien (like the bank) can come back and pay you off and get the property (though they will pay you a 20% premium and reimburse you for any taxes you pay in the interim). After a year, you can foreclose on the property and extinguish the other liens. Or you can wait four years until the tax deed "ripens" and then you get ownership by default (even without having to specifically foreclose).

So if you've got a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket and want to take a gamble that the bank has no interest in pursuing their security interest in the property, have at it.

With all due respect to you and your knowledge, you don't know what you are talking about.

Once a tax sale goes to sale it is all over.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast