Default Can You Collect Social Security Survivor Benefits While Receiving Disabilty Benefits

I am 54 and currently receive disability benefits. My husband recently died. Can I receive Survivor benefits from his earnings and continue my benefits. I cannot exist on only by benefits. Any advice will be helpful.

Default Re: Survivor Benefits and Disability

When you reach retirement age, they will notify you of the time to switch, If the benefit is less than SSI pays at that point, you can file for an SSI supplement. Here is a link to the chart which covers your age.
    http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/survivorchartred.htm

You can file for Disabled Widow's benefits, but they will be reduced because you are not full retirement age (66) and reduced by your own Social Security Disability benefits. Your local office can do the calculation. It may not be financially advantageous until you are older.

You can actually file an SSI claim as a disabled individual today. Bring proof of all current income, value of all assets and proof of living arrangements (rental agreement, etc.)

Call your office. Make an appointment. Since you already have a favorable disability decision, a decision about disabled widow's or SSI should take less than 30 days.

Quote Quoting Alston
    View Post
    I am 54 and currently receive disability benefits. My husband recently died. Can I receive Survivor benefits from his earnings and continue my benefits. I cannot exist on only by benefits. Any advice will be helpful.
    In order to draw off of your deceased husbands record you must be at least 50 and be found disabled by SSA and your husband has to have paid enough into Social Security. There are other requirements like you haven't remarried and you must have been married to him for at least 9 months before his death. I have put a link below that will take you to all of the requirements.

The record you will receive the highest amount on will be the one you draw off of. If the highest amount is less than $753 in 2015, and if you meet income and resource criteria you can also draw SSI and that will make up the difference so you receive a total of $753 a month combined. Call your local office and tell them you need to file a application for Disabled Widows Benefits.

Widow(er)'s Benefits Definitions and Requirements-
    https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0300207001

1. Sponsored Links