Question Where Must a Credit Card Company Sue You After You Default

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Could be CT, NH, or GA

Which state has jurisdiction when it comes to bad debt (credit cards and old medical bills)? The state you lived in at the time the debt was started, state you lived in when you made last payment, state you live in now?

I've been in the same state (GA) for 4 years but wasn't sure if GA rules for old debt since the debt was created in CT and last paid in NH.

Thanks!

Default Re: Where Must a Credit Card Company Sue You After You Default

Quote Quoting usone123
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Could be CT, NH, or GA

Which state has jurisdiction when it comes to bad debt (credit cards and old medical bills)? The state you lived in at the time the debt was started, state you lived in when you made last payment, state you live in now?

I've been in the same state (GA) for 4 years but wasn't sure if GA rules for old debt since the debt was created in CT and last paid in NH.

Thanks!
    The creditor could certainly sue you in GA where you now live. And depending on the facts, the creditor might also be able to sue you in the state where the debt was created, too. For example, if you sought treatment at a hospital in CT and owed bills for the treatment you received there, the hospital could sue you either in a CT or a GA court.

Quote Quoting usone123
    View Post

It's likely that you would be sued in GA, where you live now. Credit card companies are national in scope and collection agencies routinely sell debts and could easily sell the debts to an agency in GA.

The statute of limitations for a lawsuit based on a written contract is 6 years in GA. A credit card agreement is a written contract and you probably signed some sort of financial responsibility form at the medical providers.

Thank you both, I figured GA but good to know in the example case you gave. Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links