Exclamation Obtaining Vehicle Title of Deceased Grandmother

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florida.

My grandmother was going to leave me her trailer but never included it into her will before she passed in 2012. I have lived in that trailer since 2004 with her until she moved to my aunt's and passed away there. I am still residing in the trailer. The title is still in my grandmother's name, and the will is with my aunt, who was my grandmother's legally appointed power of attorney, or whatever its' called. The trailer itself sits on my parents 10 acre property and has been there for more than 20 years. I am trying to get the title in my name, but because she did not leave it to me by name in the will, neither my aunt or I are sure how to go about changing it out, or what our options are at this time. There's no dispute between family members over the trailer: we just aren't sure how to go about putting it in my name legally.

Default Re: Obtaining Title of Deceased Grandmother

Who is the executor of the will? Whoever that person is has the ability to sign over the title to you.

I don't know. I only just started researching this. As far as I know, my aunt had control over the will and my grandmother's legal matters.

It depends somewhat on whether the will is silent on the trailer and how the assets of the estate are bequeathed. If the trailer was not left to any of the heirs specifically, your aunt (who I assume is the executrix of the estate) could simply get permission from the other heirs and then quit claim the title over to you.

The alternative might be that you have to pay something into the estate to gain the title.

- - - Updated - - -

If she has the title, all she needs to do is sign it over to you for a $1. You would still have to pay the tax on the fair market value of the trailer.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    It depends somewhat on whether the will is silent on the trailer and how the assets of the estate are bequeathed. If the trailer was not left to any of the heirs specifically, your aunt (who I assume is the executrix of the estate) could simply get permission from the other heirs and then quit claim the title over to you.

The alternative might be that you have to pay something into the estate to gain the title.

- - - Updated - - -

If she has the title, all she needs to do is sign it over to you for a $1. You would still have to pay the tax on the fair market value of the trailer.
    What tax are you talking about here?

Default Re: Obtaining Vehicle Title of Deceased Grandmother

No one seems to fighting over a 20 year old trailer. I would not get too excited since it is on private property. When it gets decrepit enough scrap it out.

Quote Quoting Daisylee
    View Post
    I don't know. I only just started researching this. As far as I know, my aunt had control over the will and my grandmother's legal matters.
    I agree with D that you needn't sweat the ownership is nobody is objecting to you living there.

I do, however, urge you to have renter's insurance. It's called renter's insurance but it doesn't matter if you pay rent or not.

It covers your stuff if the trailer burns down or gets blown away in those famous Florida hurricanes and provides money for temporary living arrangements. Also covers you if somebody gets injured and sues you.

Plenty of people post here and cry about how much money a catastrophe costs them when they don't have insurance. Would you rather spend a couple of hundred a year for insurance or be one of those that cry when faced with thousands of dollars worth of damage to their stuff.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    What tax are you talking about here?
    That would be sales tax.

Default Re: Obtaining Vehicle Title of Deceased Grandmother

There is likely tax due the local authority as the trailer has not been legally attached to the property. The bills should come in Grandmas name and though it is illegal to open her mail, it is not illegal to go down to the county and pay the taxes on the trailer in her name. Consult your local county auditor web site.

1. Sponsored Links