Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Additives in a Municipal Water Supply

My question involves public health law in the State of: Ohio

The people of my city amended the city charter to prohibit specific actions of its public utilities from preforming specific tasks.

I want to know how to hold the city accountable for this violation so that the will of the people is enforced.

Notwithstanding [In spite of] any ordinance or resolutions which heretofore [before] may have been enacted,
    the addition of any substance to the public water supply for the purpose of affecting the bodies
    or the bodily or mental functions of the consumers hereby is prohibited.
    It goes on to list some specifically and explicitly named substances that are prohibited in "whatever state, and all other drugs
    and chemicals, antibiotic or otherwise, which could affect the consumer's bodily functions in any
    manner."

The city is in a very clear breach of this prohibition.
    The first sentence (as noted above) retroactively invalidates any ordinances or resolutions that may have previously allowed such substances.
    Worst is the city is actually supplementing the specific and explicit additives listed by name.
    The city, to it's own detriment, publishes a report on how much of these prohibited chemicals they add. It is very very easy to prove.

I would like to know what recommendations others might have for proceedings against my city's negligence.

Default Re: City Violates City Charter

What are you babbling about? Chlorination?

Or maybe flouridation?

If so, it's a matter of state law preemption:
    Quote Quoting O.R.C. 6109.20 Maintaining fluoride content of public water supply.
    If the natural fluoride content of supplied water of a public water system is less than eight-tenths milligrams per liter of water, fluoride shall be added to such water to maintain fluoride content of not less than eight-tenths milligrams per liter of water nor more than one and three-tenths milligrams per liter of water beginning:

(A) On or before January 1, 1971, for a public water system supplying water to twenty thousand or more persons;

(B) On or before January 1, 1972, for a public water system supplying water to five thousand or more persons, but less than twenty thousand persons.

It's about prohibited additives to include drugs, chemicals, et al.

You're not helping. If you aren't interested to or capable of answering the question then please don't waste my time.

Don't waste ours.

It should be obvious to anyone with a room-temperature IQ that if you have proof of a violation for which you have legal grounds to sue, you call a lawyer.

Mr k is quite capable of helping. I can generally help as well but without some specifics nobody can help you so either grow up and provide what is needed or go to your room and pout because nobody will play with you. It's your choice.

I'm not afraid to file some documents. Not everyone is in a position to hire an attorney. Nor do I believe the lack of funds to hire one constitutes a waiver of my right to redress. If actual expert-law discussion is something you would like to engage in - please do share.

However, if your scope of expert-law advise ends with calling a lawyer - why bother building a forum? You could have accomplished that with a single html page.

Here:

Code:
    <html>
    <body>

<h1>Need advise?</h1>

<p>Call a lawyer.</p>

</body>
    </html>

An internet forum cannot file a lawsuit for you.

You have yet to convince me, however, that you have any grounds on which to file one. Why don't you start by telling us, SPECIFICALLY, what the city is doing in violation of what law.

as Mr. K already pointed out, they could not do what you want them to do even if they wanted to do so, they are mandated by state law.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast