Default Do You Gain Ownership of Items You Hold in Your Storage Unit for Somebody Else

My question involves personal property located in the State of: California

Over a year and a half ago I rented a unit at Public Storage to store things my father says are his after a fire and for the first 13 months, I paid for the unit despite him agreeing that he will reimburse me. And since I'm on the lease, I didn't want to neglect payment, have it default to auction and have it screw up my credit in any way. My name is the only one on the lease. His name is not even on the list of people I have granted access to the unit. He does not have a key and he does not have the gate code to the property. The gentleman in the office at my Public Storage facility told me that no matter who's things are in the unit, legally they belong to me since my name is the only one on the lease and his name is nowhere on the signed paperwork. I am wondering if this is true or not. If my father decides to try to sue me for the items in the unit, I would like to know if I have any ground to stand on in the case of who legally owns the stuff.

(Eventually he started mailing checks to the facility to pay for the unit, but the checks were not even for the full amount due, so I ended up covering what was left. The only place on the account where his name could be is on the checks.)

Default Re: Someone Else's Things in My Storage Unit

No you do not have rights to what you have admitted is the property of someone else.

Default Re: Someone Else's Things in My Storage Unit

Quote Quoting RexManning
    View Post
    I would like to know if I have any ground to stand on in the case of who legally owns the stuff.
    No.

Your father owns his stuff.

You can't hold it hostage if he wants it back.

All you can do is sue him for the money he owes you.

If you sued him and got a judgment you can THEN attach the non-exempt part of the property.

1. Sponsored Links