Default How to Introduce Technical Evidence in a Criminal Trial

My question involves criminal law for the state of: tennessee - in a felony theft of property case in criminal court, how would paperwork attained off the internet showing that a upc does not apply to only one merchant but to any and all merchants that carry an item, be entered into evidence? Would I need an expert witness to verify this paperwork. I am representing myself in this case due to the fact that I make too much for a court appointed attorney and not enough to pay the $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 that I'm being quoted. I appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

Default Re: Evidence

You will enter evidence through witnesses competent to testify about the issue.

You need a lawyer, so I suggest that you start figuring out how you are going to pay for one.

Default Re: How to Introduce Technical Evidence in a Criminal Trial

Quote Quoting lorie42
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: tennessee - in a felony theft of property case in criminal court, how would paperwork attained off the internet showing that a upc does not apply to only one merchant but to any and all merchants that carry an item, be entered into evidence? Would I need an expert witness to verify this paperwork.
    In order to get that information before the jury, you’ll need an expert witness to testify about what UPC codes are, what they signify, and to opine whether or not it could determine the source of the product at issue. You cannot simply give the judge some pages you printed off the internet. Tennessee rules of evidence are based on the federal rules of evidence. As to the use of experts, see Rules 702-706.

Default Re: Evidence

As I stated in the post, I will be representing myself. I will never be able to afford $5,000.00 that lawyers are quoting. I have no choice but to try and collect information. Thanks for your help.

I really appreciate your help. I've tried to contact a company on the internet that claims to find expert witnesses for licensed law firms only. I will have to have any expert witnesses from tennesee in order for the state to cover the costs, if I understand this correctly. Can you give me any ideas on how to find expert witnesses in tennesee. Thank you for your help.

The state is not going to pay for your defense. Further, the UPC testimony is meaningless if the items have serial numbers. The manufacturers should have records of what company they were shipped to.

You haven't fully explored this site, have you?

No, none of the items seized from the vehicle have serial numbers, only UPC codes that point only to the manufacturer of the item. Some UPC's do point to manufacturer and merchant, but not any of these. Thanks for your comments. I'm learning what I can from them. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

None of the items have serial numbers only manufacturers UPC's that do not point to any stores. Any idea how to get the fact that only serial numbers can be traced to a store in this situation, into evidence for the trial? Thank for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Can transcripts of the preliminary hearing in general sessions court be used in the criminal court trial without the individuals being referred to in criminal court trial present? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

How is it possible to have evidence that was seized in a theft of property case, if the state admits that it cannot prove specific items, but still believes it can prove others as stolen property? How do you get a judge to order it returned to defendants? Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links