Default Grand Jury True Bill

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tennessee - If a Grand Jury True Bill for a theft of property case, states that an indictment is for only one(1) item out of several items that were listed in the original warrant and in the charges that were bound over to the Grand Jury, can the DA attempt to convict in the trial pertaining to the said True Bill, the items listed in the warrant, or does the DA have to attempt to convict on only the specific item listed in the true bill? I have to represent myself in these precedings due to the fact that I make to much to qualify for a court appointed attorney, and don't make enough to pay an attorney the $5,000.00-$10,000.00 they are asking. Any general information at all will help me try to handle this on my own. Thanks for any help you can give.

Default Re: Grand Jury True Bill

The prosecutor may only prosecute the offense(s) detailed in the charging document, in this case the indictment issued by the grand jury.

I appreciate your response. If in the Indictment it states the offense(theft of property) but does not mention all of the items(now only one(1) instead of several listed in the original warrant). Do I understand you to mean that the prosecutor can only prosecute the offense listed in the indictment or can he only prosecute the offense with the one(1) item only as stated in the indictment. The original warrant was for theft of property with several items listed. Now the indictment only states theft of property with one(1) item listed. Does this mean that the prosecutor was unable to get the Grand Jury to indict on these other theft of property items, or is it possible that he only mentioned the one(1), the highest amount one(1), in order to get a quick non-confusing decision and can prosecute for all of the items listed in the original warrant under a theft of property charge. Sorry to make it so difficult. I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. Thank you again for your help.

All we know about the case is what you tell us. We have no way to tell you what the grand jury found, nor do we have any way to tell you what the prosecutor is thinking.

The problem here is that it depens on exactly what the indictment says. Without knowing that, no one here can tell you exactly what the state must prove. And it is probably not a good idea for you to quote the indictment on a public internet forum like this one.

Or to tell us what you did or did not do.

I've never seen an indictment get specific down to the items involved. It's typically just a charge and a date of occurrence and the actual statutes that were violated. Now that level of detail may have been presented to the grand jury to get the indictment, but it's by and large meaningless to the actual charge once indicted.

Typically the defense attorney asks for a bill of particulars as to what the prosecution attends to allege as stolen at trial if it matters.

Borrow $10k any way you can and hire yourself an attorney.

1. Sponsored Links