Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Security Guard Refused to Accept Package for Condo Resident

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Hawaii
    A security guard in the condo I live in refused my FedEx mail and told the FedEx driver that "we don't accept mail for that unit, no one registered to that unit". I never got it, no notice because as far as the driver knew, no one by that name in that unit.
    In that FedEx mail was my work assignment with a set deadline. So it was sent back to the company and of course the deadline came and went, I didn't complete my assignment, the mail was sent back, and I lost that job. This is the third time she has sent back our, my bf and I, mail. The first two was my bfs. (He lost a client). I lost my F@$#%en job!!!
    I filed a police report and it was forwarded to the prosecutor.

Default Re: Do I Have a Case, Can I Press Charges or Sue Her

Perhaps everyone should read this first: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/show...ht=#post837302
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

What did you report to the police? I'm curious what crime the police said they forwarded to the prosecutor?

And if the Condo Association won't handle the matter for some reason, then perhaps there is more to this tale ... could it be as was suggested in your other thread, that the security personnel do not want to be responsible for your packages because of the potential allegations of theft or other malfeasance? Is this a policy at the property to reject service for packages to everyone? Or, have they singled YOU out for some reason? If they have singled you out, why do you think that is?

Have you considered a PO Box?? That might not work for UPS, but it would work for USPS and FedEx.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Um FEDEX will *NOT* deliver to PO Boxes except for their "smart post" service.

I actually have a box at the UPS Store after my company decided they didn't want to receive my personal shipments anymore (and I couldn't have them left on my residential door step). The UPS store will take UPS, FEDEX, USPS, or just about any other form of delivery that occurs while they are open for business.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Um FEDEX will *NOT* deliver to PO Boxes except for their "smart post" service.
    So ... uh ... they DO deliver to PO Boxes. It may not be with standard service, but, as I said, they do deliver to PO Boxes (used to use it).

Point is there are potential alternatives to the OP's problem.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Your post makes it sound like you can get a fedex shipment delivered to your box. That's not true. Only SmartPost which essentially has FEDEX drop the package in the mail for the "last mile" works that way. The USPS can not legally accept regular FEDEX deliveries at PO Boxes. It's against the law.

I would like to know why OP can't get the problem fixed by registering the occupants of the condo since that is what the problem seems to be. Part of this saga is still missing.

Default Re: Security Guard Refused to Accept Package for Condo Resident

The Condo, unless in the bylaws has no duty to deliver or expedite access for delivery to you. I suggest you do as I do with expensive shipments, when I do not expect one to be home to accept them. I set them up for delivery to the local sorting facility and pick them up there. I have done this with both UPS and FedEX. The delivery to address is the facility address and it is addressed as HOLD FOR PICKUP John R Smith or something similar according to your facilities methods. They are more than happy to provide this service as it eliminates the loading and delivery expense they would normally pay for. You will know it is there by following the tracking number.

It's a big liability issue for them. My son lives in a condo complex and we were told right from the time we picked up the various things from the office (parking passes, etc) that they will not sign for nor accept deliveries. Unless you can get the HOA to change their mind, there's no legal thing you can wield.

Quote Quoting jana808
    View Post
    A security guard in the condo I live in refused my FedEx mail and told the FedEx driver that "we don't accept mail for that unit, no one registered to that unit". I never got it, no notice because as far as the driver knew, no one by that name in that unit.
    ARE you registered to that unit? Is your boyfriend? No one is legally obligated to receive packages or mail for you. They'd have to WILLINGLY assume that responsibility, and they've made it very clear that they have no intention of doing so.

This is the third time she has sent back our, my bf and I, mail. The first two was my bfs. (He lost a client).
    So... what you're really saying is that not only did your boyfriend not learn anything after the FIRST time it happened and he was told that they weren't going to accept mail, but then YOU expect turn around and do the same thing? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result. When you have jobs depending on you getting things delivered to you, then you do what you hafta do to ensure their delivery. Playing Russian Roulette with a security guard who has already made it clear that they aren't going to accept deliveries on your behalf isn't the way to accomplish this. Sometimes you just have to have more common sense than a rock; demonstrated by being proactive enough to register as they hinted, or to be available to receive or pick up deliveries yourself. The courts can't force security to play when they've already yelled "not it".

I filed a police report and it was forwarded to the prosecutor.
    It's not a crime to refuse to accept mail or packages for others. It may have some entertainment value I suppose.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast