Default Driving on a Suspended License in New Jersey

Howdy Folks,
    I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to steer a loved one in the right direction.

While driving home from her parents, my fiancÚ fell asleep on a state highway in nj. She sideswiped a concrete guard rail but avoided injuring herself or any other drivers and vehicles (thankfully). Her vehicle sustained damage to her front passenger side quarter panel & tire. She pulled her car safely onto the shoulder and called a tow truck. I arrived in my car so I could drive her back to our place. A few minutes pass while awaiting a row when 2 state troopers pulled up and asked us seperately what had happened. She informed them of the circumstances above. When asked for her license/registration/proof of insurance she told the troopers her license was suspended because she failed to finish paying off a court cost for possession of paraphernalia (this charge was reduced to a disorderly conduct charge). On a side note, I was blindsided by this news. I assumed she was ashamed about the charges, which is why she never told me until now. I only realized what was happening after the troopers returned from speaking with her to return my license to me. I'm sure my face said it all when the troopers asked me about it all. Luckily the they chose not to take her to jail and she was permitted to have her car towed to a mechanic. She was given a ticket, 39:3-40, for driving with suspended license. What can she expect to happen? How can I help her be better prepared for court? What specifications should I expect her attorney to do for her. This is her first suspended license charge. In regards to her possession charge, which was a seperate occasion, she was a passenger in a car that was pulled over by police. When searched they found a marijuana grinder that she had purchased earlier in the day and had yet to use. She was able to have the charge dropped down to Disorderly Conduct but never made her final payment due to being laid off.

Despite having to take a long look at what our relationship is based on, I still wish to help her in any way possible. Thank you for any and all guidance you could extend to me. It is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Driving on a Suspended License in New Jersey

Upon conviction of the first offense of fine of $500.00. The defendant will also be surcharged a mandatory $250.00 per year for 3 years in every DWS by the DMV. She is lucky no one was injured or she would be facing up to 45 days in jail also.

Default Re: Driving on a Suspended License in New Jersey

Next time she gets laid off, tell her to contact the court rather than just no paying the remaining fine amount. It's possible that a new payment arrangement could be worked out based on her income.

1. Sponsored Links