Default Tablet Keyboard Broke Under Warranty but No Longer Supported

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: MN

I purchased a tablet and a power keyboard (the power keyboard cost $150). I have all the receipts still. The keyboard stopped working and I went to the store where I purchased it (a major cell phone company... Don't know if we can name names on here), and the employee there told me "the manufacturer stopped making the keyboards for these and no one has them anymore. I'll call the vendor tomorrow and see what they can do for you." Basically my keyboard broke under the manufacturers warranty but they can replace it now. I'm wondering what am I entitled to here... Do they legally have to refund my $150 if they can't replace the broken item or what? I would be perfectly fine with them replacing it but even checking online you cannot purchase it anywhere except eBay.

Default Re: Tablet Keyboard Broke Under Warranty but No Longer Supported

Quote Quoting maxshuty
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: MN

I purchased a tablet and a power keyboard (the power keyboard cost $150). I have all the receipts still. The keyboard stopped working and I went to the store where I purchased it (a major cell phone company... Don't know if we can name names on here), and the employee there told me "the manufacturer stopped making the keyboards for these and no one has them anymore. I'll call the vendor tomorrow and see what they can do for you." Basically my keyboard broke under the manufacturers warranty but they can replace it now. I'm wondering what am I entitled to here... Do they legally have to refund my $150 if they can't replace the broken item or what? I would be perfectly fine with them replacing it but even checking online you cannot purchase it anywhere except eBay.
    No, the seller doesn't have to refund you anything. It's not the seller's warranty.

The warranty comes from the manufacturer.

Contact the manufacturer yourself.

You won't get anywhere with the dealer or vendor.

Unfortunately, there's another issue. How and why did it break?

Read the warranty. There may be an exclusion for breakage. If so, then you are out of luck.

That leads me to my next question - it is broken by a manufacturer defect. It seems something on the internals just stopped working as far as we could tell. It has not broken by me dropping it, putting in water, or any other things I could imagine breaking it. Simple stopped working and my warranty has 11 months left. They just stopped making the product very recently and there are none on any shelves.

My next question is then if they stopped making it should the manufacturer have to refund my $150 then if they can't replace or fix it?

Quote Quoting maxshuty
    View Post
    That leads me to my next question - it is broken by a manufacturer defect. It seems something on the internals just stopped working as far as we could tell. It has not broken by me dropping it, putting in water, or any other things I could imagine breaking it. Simple stopped working
    Thanks for clearing that up. The words "break" and "broken" imply something other than a malfunction due to an internal issue.

Quote Quoting maxshuty
    View Post
    my warranty has 11 months left. They just stopped making the product very recently and there are none on any shelves.

My next question is then if they stopped making it should the manufacturer have to refund my $150 then if they can't replace or fix it?
    The manufacturer has to do (or will do) what the written warranty says it has to do (or will do).

Read the warranty to find out what that is and then contact the manufacturer.

For example, the Nokia power keyboard includes the following statement:

"During the warranty period, Manufacturer will, in a reasonable time, remedy the defect free of charge by either repairing or replacing the defective Product or the defective part of it at its option provided that you have informed Manufacturer of the defect before the warranty period expires. When repairing or replacing your Product, Manufacturer may use new or re-conditioned parts or products."

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobil...ited-warranty/

If you have a different brand or model, check your written warranty for details.

Just because somebody told you that the item is no longer made or supported doesn't mean that the manufacture doesn't have some supply on hand for warranty replacement.

It's possible that the manufacturer might send you a refund if it no longer has the ability to replace or repair the item. Or, it might send you a different model that's currently available that comes close to the features that yours has.

I don't know.

And you won't know until you contact the manufacturer and report the malfunction.

Thanks, that clearly answers my question. I do actually have the Nokia power keyboard. I'll be calling them tomorrow if still haven't heard back by then. (They're supposed to call me back)

Usually a manufacture will hold a discontinued model in stock for warranty claims.

If they don't hold a discontinued model for warranty claims, they may have a disclaimer stating that they will replace your model with a "like" model. meaning they will replace your discontinued model with the model that replaced your model.

Or they will fix your item and ship it back.

Wait and see what the company says.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links