Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Request for Banning of Dogmatique, Disagreeable,cbg, Courtclerk and Mr. Knowitall

I think someone here is going to be very surprised at exactly who gets hit by the Ban Hammer of Tender Enlightenment.

Default Re: Request for Banning of Dogmatique, Disagreeable,cbg, Courtclerk and Mr. Knowitall

Please take not of cbg's additional ad hominem comment. Once again he and others here are not dispensing any "objective" legal advice even after I provided them with pertinent information that denying housing to those with a legal source of income like SSI and Section 8 vouchers is illegal.

You're still not getting it. THINK about the actual words I used. If you're capable of doing so.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Bahhhhaaaawwaaaa....

DENIED

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Perther
    View Post
    I shant return to this site
    Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you....

Default Re: Can I Be Denied Housing when I Disclose That I Am on SSI

Quote Quoting Perther
    View Post
    Perhaps the "correct legal response" is something you do not want to hear. You are the biased one dear file clerk
    CourtClerk. My name (to you) is CourtClerk, not file clerk. BUT... guess what me and a file clerk have in common that you don't?

We're both EMPLOYED.

Employed long enough that I have enough social security credits NOT to need SSI. So, you're excused.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Perther
    View Post
    Yes indeed cpg, He/she/they are required not to deny me housing based on a legal form of income. Horror of Horrors!

- - - Updated - - -

"Discrimination based one’s “source of income” – which can include, but is not limited to, housing choice vouchers, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), unemployment insurance, or veteran’s benefits – is against the law in many states and localities across the country. The ERC has advocated strongly for the enforcement of existing laws and the enactment of new legislation for this protected class since 2005."

Therefore I've nominated to be banned from giving anyone advice.
    Your denial is likely not based on your SOURCE of income, but the AMOUNT of your income. I know, it's a concept too complex for you to understand.

What did I do? I suggested you seek low income housing which unless you have in some manner screwed up big time, you will usually get based on your income and availability, even if you must move to a new city to get it. The reason most landlords will not rent to a person on SSI is because the Gov't can elect to stop their payments at any time and the person is collection proof as SSI cannot be garnished for back rent or damages. Unless you could pay for 6 months in advance, to assure landlord they will get paid, which you cannot do because of SSI asset limits, you are screwed.

This does not mean I do not feel sorry for you, In fact unless you have a criminal record, you can get into a homeless shelter and live while your application for government housing is processed.

You could also put an ad on CL advertising you are willing to provide live in care for a disabled elderly person to your capability and can present a clear criminal record and references. If these are bars to you because of criminal activity, it is not your disability causing the issue. It is your criminal record and lack of cash to overcome it.

It's not what you did, Dis, it's what you didn't do. I didn't do it either. You didn't immediately respond that of course the landlord couldn't deny him housing and he would be able to sue for a few million bucks.

OP still does not appear to understand the difference between "landlord must not discriminate" and "landlord is required to..."

Quote Quoting Perther
    View Post
    "Discrimination based one’s “source of income” – which can include, but is not limited to, housing choice vouchers, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), unemployment insurance, or veteran’s benefits – is against the law in many states and localities across the country. The ERC has advocated strongly for the enforcement of existing laws and the enactment of new legislation for this protected class since 2005."
    It's customary to include a link to a primary source of a quotation so we can make sure you are providing the correct interpretation of whatever you found.

But, assuming that it's a correct interpretation, let me give you a former landlord's point of view.

I owned rental houses for 20 years.

I never had any objection to renting to anybody on SSI, SSDI, or any other type of fixed income PROVIDED:

1 - It was sufficient to cover the rent AND estimated living expenses.

and

2 - The prospective tenant had a credit score of at least 700 with no chronic defaults or delinquencies.

So, you see, it's wouldn't have been the "source" of income that was an issue, it would have been the AMOUNT of your income and your CREDITWORTHINESS, the same things that a bank would look at if you went in and asked for a loan. There is nothing illegal about THAT kind of discrimination. (You'll probably be ranting at evil banks next.)

As for Section 8, I would always tell people I would have to be Section 8 to take Section 8. (Older folks might understand the reference.) But that's not because of the person who qualifies for Section 8, it's because accepting Section 8 allows the government to poke its nose and its fingers into my business and I wasn't having any of that.

Get it now?

Or will you get nasty with me and ask that I be banned, too?

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Or will you get nasty with me and ask that I be banned, too?
    Why let you miss out on the fun? I'm nominating you for bannage with us

Quote Quoting Perther
    View Post
    Please take not of cbg's additional ad hominem comment. Once again he and others here are not dispensing any "objective" legal advice even after I provided them with pertinent information that denying housing to those with a legal source of income like SSI and Section 8 vouchers is illegal.
    We all love Dogmatique, Disagreeable, Cbg, Courtclerk and Mr. Knowitall

They'll be around here giving advice long after you're a faded memory.

I guess you can add me to your hit list now.

I'll be in good company.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast