Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Suing the State for Shutting Down a Business

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Georgia.

I've had the state, local sheriff and the GA lottery commission illegally charge us, shut down a multimillion dollar business that taxes were being paid on and take away everything we had. I am looking for a lawyers to counter sue. I need one that has had experience in dealing with the state and the Georgia Lottery (a private company). Searches don't really pull up anything. If anyone knows one, please let me know.

Thank youi

Default Re: Looking for a Lawyers in Georgia - Gambling Experience

We are not a referral service. You need to start calling lawyers to find one. Perhaps your attorney in the criminal case could point you in the right general direction.

Default Re: Suing the State for Shutting Down a Business

Before you think about suing the state, you need to focus on beating the criminal charges that have been filed against you.

Quote Quoting sailence
    View Post

I've had the state, local sheriff and the GA lottery commission illegally charge us,
    If you've been charged with a crime you have been legally charged. If you have a valid defense you raise that at your trial. I hope you have a good criminal defense attorney.

If you are acquitted of the charges that still doesn't mean that the charges weren't legally brought against you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting sailence
    View Post
    I am looking for a lawyers to counter sue.
    Google, yellow pages, the find a lawyer feature on this page, then start making phone calls.

But, as already pointed out, you'll have to beat the criminal charges.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

So do you happen to be one of those businesses in my great state of GA where you're paying out gambling winnings in cash when you're not supposed to be? I'll tell you this. Of all the sweeps that I know of, they've already sent in undercovers to prove what they've said.

You'll need a better story than we didn't do it. You might want to make sure your staff was on the up and up as well.

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    So do you happen to be one of those businesses in my great state of GA where you're paying out gambling winnings in cash when you're not supposed to be? I'll tell you this. Of all the sweeps that I know of, they've already sent in undercovers to prove what they've said.

You'll need a better story than we didn't do it. You might want to make sure your staff was on the up and up as well.
    According to OP's other threads, their business supplied the gaming machines.

so, why would you be looking for a lawyer? Why would you be suing?

Oh, that's right, they shut US down.

so much for your claims of you only being caught up in all of this because you were doing a little repair work for your father.

I helped my other here and there to fix or repair machines, trying to be a good son. The store owners that had the machines got caught paying out cash and there was an 18 month investigation, trackers on all vehicles, pictures etc.. They charged us with commercial gambling (felony) because the store owners paid out cash. We never told them to. In fact I did not work for this company, I caught up in it because of doing little things to help. I never even profited from it.

My father had a business that set out legal skill nudge games, however, the indians got caught paying out cash. The Law basically told them that if they would say that we told them to pay out cash they would let them go. Even though I wasnt employed by my father, because I fixed stuff for him and helped him out I got caught up into it.

Quote Quoting sailence
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: Georgia.

I've had the state, local sheriff and the GA lottery commission illegally charge us, shut down a multimillion dollar business that taxes were being paid on and take away everything we had.

Thank you
    What do you mean by “illegally charge us”? If you mean that you are not guilty of the crimes you’ve been charged with then that’s not the standard that applies. The state is only required to have probable cause to support the charges. That’s not a very high standard. At trial, the state must prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, a much higher standard. Thus, even if you are acquitted of the charges at trial that does not mean you have a good claim to sue the state. You’d need to prove that the state lacked even probable cause. And if you can't get the criminal case dismissed based on lack of probable cause before trial, then you’ve got a real problem trying to prove the state lacked probable cause in your civil case. And, of course, if you are convicted, that means the state did have sufficient probable cause and you certainly wouldn’t win a wrongful arrest and prosecution case in that event. That’s why the others have said you need to focus on the criminal case first. If you lose the criminal case, that’s also pretty much it for your civil claim regarding the “illegal charges”, too.

Now, exactly what do you mean when you say the state shut down your business? Exactly what did it do? Did it revoke some kind of license that you had? Seize assets of the business? Or something else? Details matter, and we don’t have the necessary details here.

I suggest you start picking up a phone and start calling some criminal defense attorneys to find one to represent you in the criminal matter. That attorney can refer you to a civil litigator should it appear that you might have some kind of civil case over this.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Now, exactly what do you mean when you say the state shut down your business? Exactly what did it do? Did it revoke some kind of license that you had? Seize assets of the business? Or something else? Details matter, and we don’t have the necessary details here.
    Bases on OP's other threads, assets have been seized. OP only mentions vehicles. If it the case I think it is, then there was also cash and equipment seized as well. Their business was apparently supplying gaming machines so I'd be willing to bet the state seized all their inventory.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    I suggest you start picking up a phone and start calling some criminal defense attorneys to find one to represent you in the criminal matter. That attorney can refer you to a civil litigator should it appear that you might have some kind of civil case over this.
    Per OP's other threads, he already has a criminal defense attorney.

It's been over 6 months and we haven't heard a thing. I am saying they shut 'us' down because I am now involved in it.

All we did was supply the machines, we signed contracts and paid an accountant to go around and explain the tax laws as well as the rules and regulations concerning the GA laws relating to gambling. So yes, they have seized our machines, put our license on hold, seized all assets. Now because I have 12 felony arrest on my record I can not get a job. I am a Registered Nurse but no one wants to hire me, not even McDonalds (trust me, I applied). So how can they put our license on hold and seize our inventory if we are innocent until proven guilty? I understand the state has a lot of immunity but the Georgia Lottery are the ones who supply the license and control things, them not being a government entity they perhaps are more susceptible to being sued, since they inhibited our license and source of income.

One of the stores was in my now wife's name, and I know for a fact there was 0 cash payouts, we paid in gold and merchandise. Yet on the indictment it said "there was a cash payout made somewhere between January 15th and july4th, we are unsure of the date." --- That sounds to me as if they are just saying that, if you had evidence you would have a date; not a seven month period in which a crime allegedly happened. What do you guys think?

I have been out of work for 6 months, I had an interview at a hospital Wednesday of last week and they seemed interested even after I explained the charges, got a follow up and I hope I get the job. It's just stressful to go through this when I know that I did nothing wrong. I might have been in an immoral field, alas that is not the same as breaking the law. They did not charge the store owners for any crime even though all the evidence is of them paying out cash at their locations. The only store owner that got arrested and charged was the one that said the company did not tell him to pay out cash. His wife got a misdemeanor charge of cash payout. The other owners got off scott free for saying what they wanted to hear.

Your thoughts?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast