Post What to Do in Court After a Shoplifting Charge

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

I had the stupid impulse to steal a "stash jar" from Spencers Gifts in my local mall. I honestly don't know why I did it and I have to go and make my plea on Monday the 10th of November. I do not know what to plea. I am a 20 year old female and this is my first offense. I have no clue what I am supposed to say to the judge when I enter my plea. Any tips would be amazing. My mother says to plea no contest and let the judge decide my conviction.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting from Spencers Gifts

If you plead no contest the judge will find you guilty.

You should get an attorney. Always plead not guilty unless you have legal counsels of the implications of doing otherwise.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    If you plead no contest the judge will find you guilty.

You should get an attorney. Always plead not guilty unless you have legal counsels of the implications of doing otherwise.
    I can not afford an attorney. I was told by my therapist to call Legal Aid and ask the questions that I have but did not get through. Should I just plead not guilty and prolong the time. Id rather just get sentenced with my fines and or whatever else instead of stressing over going in front of a jury. Im really confused and Im sorry if I sound stupid.

A plea of no contest is basically the same as a guilty plea. The better thing to do is to get a lawyer to advise you. If you can’t get a laweyr before the arraignment hearing then almost certainly your better choice is to plead not guilty and then find a lawyer ASAP to help you. The arraignment is likely to be very short and you won’t have a whole lot you need to say to the judge.

Quote Quoting Roxin
    View Post
    I can not afford an attorney. I was told by my therapist to call Legal Aid and ask the questions that I have but did not get through. Should I just plead not guilty and prolong the time. Id rather just get sentenced with my fines and or whatever else instead of stressing over going in front of a jury. Im really confused and Im sorry if I sound stupid.
    Plead not guilty (it's common practice even if it's obvious you are) and see if you can get a legal aide. Very few cases end in a jury trail,most cases are resolved by plea bargain. The person pleads not guilty and the Da offers them something then they plead to that. You might be able to take a diversion class to avoid a conviction or plead to a non criminal offense. Having a criminal record can have a life long affect,getting a job or apt,etc.

It's not legal aid. Legal aid is for civil matters. For criminal matters you request a public defender (if the jurisdiction has a public defender's office) or a court-appointed lawyer. For minor crimes, it's possible that the court policy will be to decline to appoint a lawyer.

You can also look for a local criminal defense lawyer who offers a free initial consultation, and see what the lawyer has to say about local court practices. If you have a clean record, you may qualify for a diversion program or deferred disposition (depending on what's available in your county and the policies of the prosecutor and court), either of which would give you the opportunity to avoid a criminal conviction.

1. Sponsored Links