Default Copyright of a Skin for a Video Game

This is a very specific question: (i'll post relevant links at the bottom)
    I made a thing called a skin several years ago for a game called minecraft. It is basically an image file you upload to your game account, so that your in-game character looks different. I recently learned there is a very popular youtube gamer called MinecraftUniverse who uses it, with 2 million subscribers. (the channel is monetized). His channel splash art uses a cartoon version of the skin, his logo is the face of the character skin, and his thumbnails all include images of the skin or cartoon version of it. In addition, he sells merchandise using derivative art of the skin. I never gave him permission to do anything commercial, nor have we talked about it with regards to non-commercial redistribution. I uploaded it originally to planetminecraft.com several years ago under a creative commons copyright, which I understand to mean it can be redistributed so long as it isn't for commercial use, right?

So my question is: if I am unhappy and don't want him making money off of it, do I have any kind of a legal position to work with here?

His channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MinecraftUniverse
    My original upload: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/...er-3d-details/
    His merch site:http://mc-universe.spreadshirt.com/

Default Re: Very Strange, Specific Question About Web/Art Copyright

There are a limited number of ways to present a Minecraft character. Think of yours as a gorilla and his variations as different ethnicities of human. I think ya got nothing except an idea you never developed into a profit making venture.

Quote Quoting Sumpumpolis
    View Post
    I uploaded it originally to planetminecraft.com several years ago under a creative commons copyright, which I understand to mean it can be redistributed so long as it isn't for commercial use, right?
    You need to read the specific terms of the CC license you registered your work under.
    here is the description of one:

Attribution
    CC BY

This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials.
    in fact, it appears most of the licenses do allow commercial use,

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

You should be checking the specific license that you used. The site that JK linked to has many different licenses and some allow for commercial and some don't. Some require that for commercial purposes the work be unchanged. But the common element is that you be given credit for the work. I see nothing in the store link above that gives you credit for your work.

Under the Intellectual Property link at the bottom of the page in the store it says,

Intellectual Property Rights Policy

Spreadshirt's service allows its users to create designs and merchandise shops, and after customers place orders, Spreadshirt produces and delivers the items to customers. These users agree when they create these designs that they have all necessary legal rights to do so. In order to be scalable, a majority of this process must be done automatically. This means that Spreadshirt cannot ensure that 100% of shop owners actually have these legal rights.

If you suspect that your intellectual property rights are being infringed upon, you may contact the Shop Partner directly by clicking the "Contact" link at the bottom of the Partner Shop site, and / or contact our legal department at verify@spreadshirt.com with a complete DMCA notice (http://www.spreadshirt.com/dmca-notice-C6804)

For non-copyright matters, your message should have at a minimum a list of your intellectual property, proof of your ownership of the intellectual property, a list of links to all designs where you believe infringement is occurring, and your contact information.
    You should run this by a copyright attorney to see if the terms of the license have been followed and if there is any infringement or damages.

1. Sponsored Links