Default Where Do You Find the Case Number For Your Traffic Court Case

My question involves traffic court in the State of: California

It is asking for my Case number, and I can't find that anywhere on the ticket, or on the paper they sent me. It is not the Citation number. Would it be the number that is on the paper they sent me that is after the "Issue Date"?

Default Re: Filling Out Notice of Written Declaration--Case Number

Quote Quoting MirandaB
    View Post
    My question involves traffic court in the State of: California

It is asking for my Case number, and I can't find that anywhere on the ticket, or on the paper they sent me. It is not the Citation number. Would it be the number that is on the paper they sent me that is after the "Issue Date"?
    It won't be on the citation but would be on the Courtesy Notice, if you got one of those. If you're filling out the TR205 From, you can do that but are not required to at this point. Your request for trial by written declaration can be a simple note or letter to the court clerk. After receiving your request, the court clerk is supposed to mail you a copy of the TR205, your bail amount (which also wouldn't appear on the citation), and reset your due date at least 25 days into the future. About 5 days before that date or earlier, you'd need to fill out the TR205 and send in your bail amount. This is all covered in the California Rules of Court.

Hi, I am so confused. I received a courtesy letter regarding my citation. I downloaded the request for trial by written declaration and was looking as to where to send it, and can't find where I would send it. So I was wrong to do that? I need to send a written request to the court clerk first? I was going to send the request for trial by written declaration with my bail amount, but it says to not include any correspondence when sending the check. So that I understand at least! So it sounds like I need to formally request the trial by written declaration from the clerk of court in Chatsworth first?

Quote Quoting MirandaB
    View Post
    Hi, I am so confused. I received a courtesy letter regarding my citation. I downloaded the request for trial by written declaration and was looking as to where to send it, and can't find where I would send it. So I was wrong to do that? I need to send a written request to the court clerk first? I was going to send the request for trial by written declaration with my bail amount, but it says to not include any correspondence when sending the check. So that I understand at least! So it sounds like I need to formally request the trial by written declaration from the clerk of court in Chatsworth first?
    The wording in the California Rules of Court regarding TBD is what is confusing. You can send a simple note or letter to the Court Clerk or you can determine the bail amount and send that in with your TR205 by the due date. I'd choose the first option since I like to make things as difficult as possible.

If you want to keep things simple, you can just fill out the TR205 which you can find at the California Courts website. The Courtesy Notice should have the bail/fine amount on it. The bail amount and the TR205 can be mailed to the court where you were cited to appear. Much of this should be covered on the front or back of the citation you received and the Courtesy Notice. You can also read simplified instructions for TBD at the California Courts website http://www.courts.ca.gov/8450.htm#tab9275 Don't admit guilt on the TR205 or you'll be convicted even if the officer doesn't respond (which is your best shot at acquittal, generally.)

You might want to request a delay in arraignment and/or trial. In LA County, one of my co-workers was able to delay his case for a whole year and was eventually acquitted at TBD. Your due date is for arraignment or when you would customarily post bail and/or submit your TR205. Depending on the local court website, your bail amount might be visible online in your case information. Otherwise, you might get the information by calling or visiting the Court Clerk.

1. Sponsored Links