Default Denied a Court-Appointed Lawyer for a Shoplifting Case

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New Hampshire
    So, to make a long story short, me and my friend were dumb enough to steal $80 worth of makeup last month from Walmart. We were arrested and given a court date. I posted in here before, asking what might happen and I was told by many to get a court appointed lawyer. So, me and my friend filled out papers and sent them to the court house. She texted me and told me that she got a paper back saying that she didn't qualify for a court appointed attorney because based on our crime, a lawyer wasn't needed. I'm so confused on what that means. I'm 18 and she's 19 and we're willing to do whatever we have to do to correct our wrongs, because we know what we did was stupid and selfish and just totally thoughtless. Can anyone help me figure out what the letter means? I recently moved and informed the court house, but a letter was never sent to my old or new address. I just never got one. But hers says that she doesn't need one, based on the offense. This is both of our first offenses. Can someone help bring light to this? Thank you.

Default Re: Denied a Court-Appointed Lawyer for a Shoplifting Case

it may be that they are charging you with something that cannot result in jail time.

Default Re: Denied a Court-Appointed Lawyer for a Shoplifting Case

You need to properly update your address with the court. Whatever you did to "inform the courthouse" was apparently insufficient to cause your address of record to be updated.

As Lehk indicated, odds are the charge is a petty offense that doesn't trigger the right to counsel, or the prosecutor has agreed not to seek jail time such that the right to counsel is not implicated.

You can research the statute under which you are charged to determine the nature of the charge and maximum penalty.

1. Sponsored Links