Default Is Vehicle Damage Covered by Uninsured Motorist Coverage

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Arizona

My question involves an accident which occurred in the state of: Arizona

I'm a bit confused regarding the interpretation of my insurance policy provisions and coverages.

This is a two part scenario for coverage understanding purposes.

I do not have the police report at this time. This accident happened recently.

(1) I was driving my personally owned vehicle which is a fully insured with under and non insured coverages. I was involved in a non fault accident.
    Prior hitting my vehicle, the vehicle which caused the accident hit 3 other vehicles. While fleeing the scene of the previous 3 hit vehicles as the guy was trying to get away he was driving on the wrong side of the road while I attempted to avoid being hit head on his vehicle side swiped my vehicle. Due to damages and value of my vehicle it will be a total loss. Thankfully, I wasn't injured.

Driver taken to the hospital for evaluation. Medic's and Police did not smell any alcohol. It's unknown if they did a blood draw at the hospital. Police said the driver will be cited for various violations which are unknown at this time. During the accident investigation the police officer indicated the driver was driving on a revoked license, the vehicle had a temporary paper license plate which the vehicle was probably recently purchased. It's also unknown if the driver was the actual owner of the vehicle. The police officer's could not locate any insurance information in the vehicle. Do not know what was going on with this driver mentally and the only reason I can figure why he was fleeing the accident is due to his license status and possibly lack of vehicle insurance.

Since I was not at fault for this accident would my insurance company pay for the damage loss of my personal vehicle under the non-insured provision?

(2) Same situation as indicated above. Except the vehicle I was actually driving at the time of the accident was a borrowed vehicle due to my personal vehicle not being mechanically able to be driven on the road legally. Due to the value of the vehicle the owner only had liability insurance coverage. My insurance agent stated no coverage applies since I did not own the vehicle and the owner of the vehicle did not have adequate coverage for his vehicle. Understood

However, below is a cut and paste from my insurance policy provision: This is the information I lack the understanding and interpretation.

4. Any private passenger car, utility car or utility trailer not owned by you or a family member while being temporarily used as a substitute for any other vehicle described in this definition because of its withdrawal from normal use due to breakdown, repair, servicing, loss or destruction.

I understand the vehicle I was driving and unfortunately the owner did not have adequate coverage for his vehicle at the time of the accident. I also understand I am not personally liable or at fault for this accident. However, and it's a lack of understanding on my part. I have always thought based upon the above policy provisions and the wording that my personal insurance would extend it's coverages to any non owned vehicle I borrow and drive regardless of the vehicle owner insurance coverages.

So, if the vehicle was mine would my insurance pay for the loss of my vehicle? and no coverage since I didn't own the vehicle and the owner didn't have adequate insurance for his vehicle?

Thank you for the responses to bring me into an understanding.

DDSA

Default Re: Is Vehicle Damage Covered by Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured motorist coverage is for injuries. Collision coverage is for vehicle damage.

If you want more details, I suggest figuring out whether or not its your car. You should know at least that much about your situation.

Mr. Knowitall

Thanks, Please re-read
    (1) Is my personal vehicle I gave as the example had my vehicle been involved in an accident.
    (2) The borrowed vehicle I was actually driving which was involved in the accident. The vehicle was borrowed due to my personal insured vehicle being inoperable.

My policy specifically states:

Your insured car means: as I had indicated above

Any private passenger car, utility car or utility trailer not owned by you or a family member while being
    temporarily used as a substitute for any other vehicle described in this definition because of its withdrawal from
    normal use due to breakdown, repair, servicing, loss or destruction.

So, the interpretation I'm seeking based upon my reading of the above statement insured car means: So, any passenger vehicle which I temporarily operate while my personal insured vehicle is unable to be driven due to mechanical breakdown. Then, should this vehicle I was temporarily driving be insured under my insurance policy be extended to this non owned vehicle? which is based upon my own interpretation of the language which I maybe wrong and this is what I am trying to understand.

We're not interested in "examples", we're interested in what happened to you.

Did you have an accident?

Did you own the vehicle or did it belong to somebody else?

Is somebody asking you for money?

Adjusterjack

Yes! as indicated several times I was driving the borrowed vehicle due to my personal vehicle being inoperable. The owner of the borrowed vehicle had liability coverage only. Yes, I am aware I am not at fault for the accident. However, at this point in time the owner of the borrowed vehicle I was driving has not yet requested any compensation from me for the monetary loss of his vehicle which is sitting at the towing company yard incurring storage fee's and I'm not sure about any towing fee's since the Police Department requested the vehicle be towed since it was not drivable. Yes, I know the owner has the ability to file a lawsuit against the owner of the other vehicle which hit his vehicle but at this time since the police report isn't available yet, it's unknown if the driver owned the vehicle or someone else and at this time it's unknown if the vehicle is insured.

I was the 4th and final vehicle struck by the fleeing vehicle while traveling head on in my lane of travel which I attempted to avoid but was unable to totally clear his path of travel completely and he sideswiped the borrowed vehicle.

So, again adjusterjack i am trying to obtain an interpretation of the language within my policy provisions as indicated below under Definitions:

Does my personal insurance coverages extend to the vehicle I borrowed and was driving and involved in this accident since my personal vehicle is inoperable based upon the information from my policy I have provided below?

Your insured car means:

4. Any private passenger car, utility car or utility trailer not owned by you or a family member while being
    temporarily used as a substitute for any other vehicle described in this definition because of its withdrawal from
    normal use due to breakdown, repair, servicing, loss or destruction.

You initially described the vehicle as one you owned, then changed it to one you borrowed. Either way, no matter what coverage exists in the policy for a vehicle you're using while your own vehicle is being repaired, uninsured motorist coverage is not going to cover collision damage.

Mr. Knowitall

Perhaps you need to change your eye glass prescription.

No where within my posting had I indicated the vehicle I was currently driving during the accident was a personally owned vehicle, then switched to the non owned borrowed vehicle. Although, I did provide two scenario's

1. If the accident had occurred while I was driving a personally owned vehicle.
    2. The accident which occurred while I was driving the borrowed vehicle

You have indicated uninsured motorist coverage is not going to cover collision damage, on what basis are you making this statement?

Anyway, enough said until someone with suitable experience is available to interpret the policy language.

My interpretation of the language Your insured car means: and the information giving for #4. seems to be an extension of insurance coverage to a non owned vehicle. Perhaps I am wrong with my interpretation which is why I'm looking for someone within the industry insurance industry to respond such as adjusterjack
    I will also review my policy exclusions and limitations which may indicate there is no coverage to a borrowed vehicle being driven by an insured

1. Sponsored Links