Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Demand from a Business Partner Under Florida Statutes 722.11, Civil Remedy for Theft

My question involves business law in the state of: Florida

The majority sharholder in a small start-up company (no employees) suddenly served me through his lawyer with a demand to pay over $100k back to the company. I have no idea how and why he came to that sum and he is also not speaking to me. He has not been part of the business for over 3 years although he is also a director. I know the allegation lacks any basis, but this guy is a shark and I don't know what to do.

Please help and thank you in advance!

Default Re: Demand from a Business Partner Under Florida Statutes 722.11, Civil Remedy for Th

You hire a lawyer, that's what you do.

And do it fast.

Default Re: Demand from a Business Partner Under Florida Statutes 722.11, Civil Remedy for Th

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You hire a lawyer, that's what you do.

And do it fast.
    Thank you for answering. I have a huge problem: I have no money to hire a lawyer. So I have no clue what to do now.

You were not "served" with a demand to pay $100k with no explanation. Were you mailed a demand letter or were you served with notice of a lawsuit being filed? What else is on the piece of paper you received besides "pay me $100k"? While you may not know how he arrived at that specific number, you clearly have some idea of what his grievance is. While he may not have been doing anything active in running the business, he is still the majority shareholder. Has he been receiving distributions of income out of the corporation? Why are you making people guess or beg for the details?

Sorry for the lack of details: beginner error.
    The letter was written by a lawyer and it basically says: arrange a payment plan within 30 days or we will bring suit against you. The letter ends with "This notice is provided as a condition precedent for filing a lawsuit". In the letter he writes "... written release from any further civil liability for the theft which occurred on or around the 12th of July 2012". I was not in the country during those months. So I really have no clue. The story is the following: we started a company together to distribute Chinese products. While I was in charge of the technical aspect of the business he took care of legal and finance. He managed to secure some investment from a third party. The investment was used to buy products but also to give us some income. For the months that the money lasted he received a monthly income, as well as I did. For 6 months he was involved in the business on the daily basis (just until the arrival of the investment) and then he started ventures with other people and basically disappeared (he also moved to another city). In all the time of the existence of the company we only had one board meeting but no shareholder meeting. Once he had moved away the relationship broke down and he started assuming things (although he had full access to all accounting files). Those assumptions let him (I guess) open a bank account behind my back to distribute money from a sale without telling or involving me. I learned from it when the bank clerk asked me which bank account he should use for a deposit. I resigned as a director from the company early 2014. The sum of $100k came up two months ago when I noticed he did not file the tax return for 2013 and I asked why but he did not answer.
    Thank you Bubba!

time to find the funds to hire a lawyer.

Or find the money to file bankruptcy.

Average cost for a bankruptcy is about $1800 for a lawyer and court fees. If you want to do it yourself the court fees are a few hundred and there's tons of DIY information and forms on the internet.

You do have the option of ignoring the demand and hoping that the guy is bluffing. He might be. But if you do get served with a lawsuit you are going to have to do something one way or the other or risk a default judgment that will put your financial life into the toilet unless you file bankruptcy anyway.

I do not know BK law well at all but if I recall, a debt incurred due to illegal activity cannot cancelled.

I like the idea of BK. I will check if that is possible as he is the majority shareholder. The company has not been operating for over a year anyway.

I am not afraid of a lawsuit. Everything has been documented; I informed him regularly; he had access to accounts and bank accounts and I know I did not do anything ulawfull. There is of course the option he invents something but I doubt it. I only wanted to make sure I don't make a formal error.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I do not know BK law well at all but if I recall, a debt incurred due to illegal activity cannot cancelled.
    The US bankruptcy code doesn't use the phrase "illegal activity."

See Section 523 - Exceptions to Discharge. Paragraphs (a) 2, 4, and 6 are what you are referring to:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/11/523

And even those debts are discharged unless the creditor petitions the court to declare them non-dischargeable. See Paragraph (c) 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting rfkinline
    View Post
    I like the idea of BK. I will check if that is possible as he is the majority shareholder. The company has not been operating for over a year anyway.
    Of course it's possible. His position and the company status is irrelevant. He's coming after you personally.

Quote Quoting rfkinline
    View Post
    I am not afraid of a lawsuit.
    You should be.

Quote Quoting rfkinline
    View Post
    Everything has been documented; I informed him regularly; he had access to accounts and bank accounts and I know I did not do anything ulawfull. There is of course the option he invents something but I doubt it. I only wanted to make sure I don't make a formal error.
    Doesn't matter what's documented. For $100,000 you'll be sued in regular civil court where the procedures are rigorous and complex and you'll be up against a lawyer who will run rings around you if you don't have one of your own. It's the technicalities of a lawsuit that'll kill you, not the documentation.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast