Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Worker Claims He Got Hurt Working on My House

From now on, you don't allow this guy to do any work on your property. If his shoulder heals, and he re-injures it doing work for you, you will be once again on the hook...
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

I talked to a local lawyer and he literally laughed when I told him the situation of this. This morning I got a text from him saying "send me the name of your homeowners insurance company" and I called him and said what the heck? I thought we settled this? and he said yeah I might be out of work for 6 months because of you, I am taking you to court to get my money that I would've earned working. ( something along those lines. ) So I contacted a local lawyer and he laughed and said he has no case at all! are you serious? and I read him the information Bud found and he was like yup, he has nothing, no lawyer will take his case, and if one did it would be dismissed within a few minutes in court. Especially with his confession on paper to the nurses. He told me not to worry and worst case scenario my lawyer bill will be $750, which sucks but at least that is better than what he wants from me. I'd rather give away 5k than see him get 200 more.

- - - Updated - - -

Just updating: I found out tonight that the guy had recently talked to a lawyer to sue me and found out he couldn't sue me and he is pretty upset about it. No lawyer in the area would take his case from what he told a mutual friend. He told me he was done with all this yet he still tried to sue me. I am so thankful for this law forum and all lawyers that have helped me in general through this process. I'll never talk to him again after tomorrow when I return his weights.

Quote Quoting AJJ
    View Post

One last detail I think I should add is, he abuses drugs heavily, I think he may be on heroin and I know he is on Suboxone and possibly other drugs.
    All the money in the world couldn't keep a drug addict happy. The case may be that when this guy has money, he gets high with it. When he has no money to get high, he thinks about scaring people out of their money just like he is doing to you.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting AJJ
    View Post
    My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Kentucky

I have a friend that I've known for about 2 years that has been doing work on my house, today he finished laying the tile and doing some other work, he has been working for me off and on for about 4 months now, and today was his last day working because I am putting the house on the market Thursday. He calls me up and tells me he hurt his shoulder really bad working on my house and that he needs to go home so I went and picked him up and drove him home. He told me that for the work he did I owed him $400 for today, yet I have been paying him for the tile job for about 3 months now and have already about $1,000 invested ( including labor and material ) and he wanted $400 more, I said no I am giving you $160 and that's all. We had no written contracts and he's dragged it out beyond a reasonable time. I wanted to have this on the market and sold 2 months ago. ( as my insurance expired about that time and I wanted to have it sold before I had to pay for another year of insurance ) So now I have no insurance at all on the property. He told me after I told him I would not give him the $400 that he'd have to tell his insurance he got hurt working on his house and not my own as they would go after me.

First, I think he did not get hurt on my property at all, he's either faking it or he got hurt at his house ( he has a pre-existing condition with his shoulder, he's had surgery in the past, he also made the comment he is not going to tell the doctors he had surgery before, but since he hurt his shoulder and has a history of shoulder pain, wouldn't this prove that I was not at negligence fault? ) and he also said one other statement in the car that when we were at Lowes he heard his shoulder pop when he picked up a bag of mortar.

One last detail I think I should add is, he abuses drugs heavily, I think he may be on heroin and I know he is on Suboxone and possibly other drugs. I read that if the person is physically impaired than the owner of the house can not be charged or be held liable for anything.

What should I do in this situation IF he were to tell Coventry care that he hurt his shoulder working on my house?

I also just read this which would make the insurance meaningless anyway: No coverage under homeowner's policy. Some homeowners believe it is safe to use an uninsured contractor, assuming that any damages incurred would be covered under their own insurance policies. However, this isn't the case. Most homeowner policies require that any work to the property be done by licensed contractors; coverage is often specifically excluded for damages caused by "bootleg" contractors.

So who is at fault here? any help please?
    This is the exact reason you would hire someone with a license who is bonded too. Let's just say your friend died on your property and had no insurance and their family sued you. How would you be able to afford the compensation?

When you hire a friend to do work you may want to think twice. Someone who has been a friend can turn south and make up false claims just to get their medical bills covered. As your friend had a pre-existing condition there would be evidence etc. But for all purposes its best to check out the laws of your state before hiring someone not after the fact as you could be held liable.

Its actually worth it to hire someone who is legal and is licensed by the state. I have kept telling my friends and family to always check to see if they are licensed and bonded and to research their license before hiring them. Yes it may cost you more for labor in the long run but you get what you pay for. In my opinion if i hired a friend to do some work on my computer and he messed it up that is the price I'm willing to pay.

For me i would much rather take my computer to a repair shop and let them deal with it. Same for a roofer, mechanic etc.

Anyone can claim to be a professional but being bonded and licensed now that is a totally different aspect to being a professional.

And lets just say your friend did something stupid and left a Crack Pipe at your house and it was found by the police. Or your friend turned up drunk and fell off the roof. How would you respond to these actions?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4