Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can an Insurance Company Dictate Where a Car is Repaired

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Oklahoma

Earlier today my car was hit while it was parked in a parking spot. The other driver admitted fault and gave me all of his information. I've already called his insurance and they've begun the claims process and should be calling me back tomorrow.I've never been involved in a car accident, so I have no knowledge of how this process works.

Does his insurance company have final say in where it will be repaired? Or do I have the ability to determine where it will be repaired (as long as its reasonable)?

If I don't approve of where his insurance company wants to send it, what steps should I take? And what options do I have?

I work as a landman, so I'm traveling between counties a lot. So not having a car, even for a few days, would make me unable to do my job. I assume I'd talk to his insurance about getting a loaner while its being repaired?

Thanks

Default Re: Determining Where Insurance Will Take My Car

Stop at a few reputable body shops and get estimates. A loaner is unlikely to be more than a compact and you will need to pay any upgrade to a 4 wheel drive if you need it.

Quote Quoting sonner.magic1991
    View Post
    Earlier today my car was hit while it was parked in a parking spot. The other driver admitted fault and gave me all of his information. I've already called his insurance and they've begun the claims process and should be calling me back tomorrow.I've never been involved in a car accident, so I have no knowledge of how this process works.

Does his insurance company have final say in where it will be repaired? Or do I have the ability to determine where it will be repaired (as long as its reasonable)?
    The insurance company cannot dictate where you have it repaired but it can dictate how much it pays for the repairs. If the insurance company has a preferred body shop that will charge $1000 and your shop wants $1500 you will have to pay the difference and you will have a tough time proving that your shop isn't just overcharging you.

If the insurance company has a preferred body shop I suggest you give it a try. After a lifetime of taking my cars for quotes, getting the money from insurance company, then going to the shops of my choice I finally said OK to a preferred shop and it turned out great. The shop billed the insurance company and when I brought my car in there was a rental car waiting for me at the shop and I dropped off the rental right there when I picked up my car. The rental was also billed to the insurance company. All in all it was very pleasant and convenient and the shop did a nice job on the repairs.

View Post

If I don't approve of where his insurance company wants to send it, what steps should I take? And what options do I have?
    Simple. You say "I'll take it to a shop of my choice, please send me the check."

View Post
    I work as a landman, so I'm traveling between counties a lot. So not having a car, even for a few days, would make me unable to do my job. I assume I'd talk to his insurance about getting a loaner while its being repaired?
    You're entitled to a rental while your car is being repaired. Check with the adjuster. They likely have arrangements with car rental companies for discounted rates.

If the repairs aren't acceptable, am I able to request it to be redone? (assuming what I think is "acceptable" is reasonable). A friend of mine was hit from behind and used the insurance company's preferred body shop. There's multiple spots of overspray even on an interior panel (they had to replace broken window) and I have no desire to deal with that haha

EDIT: The adjuster couldn't get in contact with the guy that hit me, that why she hadn't called yet/returned my call

Thanks again for the help

View Post
    If the repairs aren't acceptable, am I able to request it to be redone? (assuming what I think is "acceptable" is reasonable).
    When the shop calls and says the car is ready, take your camera and carefully inspect the car. If the work is not acceptable, don't sign anything, don't accept the car, take photos of the completed repairs and get back in touch with the adjuster.

Chances are that the repairs will turn out good. Body shops don't stay preferred if they do shoddy work and the insurance company has to hassle with them and its claimants.

View Post
    EDIT: She couldn't get in contact with the guy that hit me
    Who is "she"?

Sorry, I meant the adjuster. I couldn't get in touch with her, but she was having trouble contacting the guy who hit my car

I once had a bad experience sending my vehicle to a body shop I wanted my vehicle to get fixed at rather then using my insurance company's preferred body shop.

An insurance company will only pay for a rental vehicle for a maximum of 30 days. The body shop I used ran into trouble getting my car in for repair. Once it was repaired it was over the 30 day mark for my insurance company to cover my rental. I had to pay the rental company a little over $500 towards the rental fee because the body shop had exhausted the insurance company's maximum 30 day rental limit.

I called my insurance company and they told me they would have covered the rental vehicle for the time the vehicle was at the body shop if I were to use their preferred body shop. Luckily for me, the body shop had waived my $500 deductible to cover the rental car because it was their fault for taking so long to fix my vehicle.

Another thing to consider is when using the preferred body shop, you get your vehicle back the day it is finished and the preferred body shop will wait for the insurance company to pay them. If you use your own body shop, the owner isn't going to release your vehicle until the insurance company pays them in full. So once your vehicle is fixed, it may take a few more days for the insurance company to cut them a check.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

They can't force you to a specific body shop.

The other party is liable for paying for your rental car.

Don't forget to make a demand for diminished value after your car has been repaired.

Quote Quoting questionforu
    View Post
    They can't force you to a specific body shop.
    Already established that.

View Post

The other party is liable for paying for your rental car.
    Within limits.

View Post
    Don't forget to make a demand for diminished value after your car has been repaired.
    If there IS diminished value and it can be proved.

Just received a call from the adjuster from his insurance company. She still has been unable to get in touch with him. What should my next step be?

Thanks again

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast