Default Bought a Car with No California Title

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California

I bought a car which apparently doesn't have a CA title. Below is the history of the vehicle -
    The owner bought the car in CA and was financed by Toyota Financial Services (TFS) in 2008. He then moved to Boston and later to Virginia. Later in 2011 he came back to California and since then living here. He had paid of the entire loan in 2011.
    Now when I tried to register the title in CA, I got a letter that CA doesn't have the title and hence cannot be registered in CA. That guy with whom I bought the car doesn't have original title for any of the 3 states. Toyota finance claims they had sent him the originals but this guy claims he never received. I went to AAA and asked for their help and this is what they told me -
    1. Ask the person whom I bought the car to fill Form 227 to get a duplicate title. Also get lien satisfied form (166) from TFS. This would help to get the duplicate title from CA
    2. Send the Original CA title to Boston DMV to get a duplicate title from Boston
    3. Send the Original Boston Title to Virginia to get the duplicate title from there.
    4. Once I have the Virginia title in hand, the car title can be transferred into my name.

The issue is that TFS is not ready to give Lien satisfied form as they feel that the lien was not satisfied in CA.
    Above all the guy from whom I bought the car is not in US anymore. The only positive thing is that I have a REG 227 form signed by him.
    And now the worst part - The registration of this vehicle is expiring on 10th Oct 14. I came to know there is some process to get temporary registration but don't know what would that mean.

I just need some advice on what to do. I am so so frustrated.

Note: The first time I went to DMV, I took that guy with me to make sure all documents are in place. THe DMV clerk said that everything is good to go. Its just after 2 weeks I got the letter from DMV that the title cannot be transferred.

I also want to know if I can file a police complaint against him as I think he cheated me and now not helping.
    Any help would be great

Default Re: Bought a Car with No California Title

Quote Quoting vishu_gupta
    View Post

Note: The first time I went to DMV, I took that guy with me to make sure all documents are in place. THe DMV clerk said that everything is good to go. Its just after 2 weeks I got the letter from DMV that the title cannot be transferred.
    Section 4157 of the CA Vehicle Code allows you the possibility of posting a defective title bond:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=4150-4166

Here's the bond form:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5057.pdf

Take the statute and the form to the DMV office and they will instruct you on what to do next.

View Post

I also want to know if I can file a police complaint against him as I think he cheated me and now not helping.
    Visit your local police station and see if they'll take a report. I seriously doubt that you'll ever get any results that way so concentrate on getting your title first.

There are a few issues here. He should have retitled the car in CA before selling it to you. You should not have bought the car with out of state registration and no title. TFS has told you they have a lien on this vehicle and it is in default. Therefore, you need to reconcile this with them as it is likely to be repossessed as soon as they get a DMV address. The car may not pass inspection in CA now.

TFS has confirmed that they don't have lien on this. They refuse to issue lien satisfied form because according to them the lien was not satisfied in CA whereas form 166 is CA specific. They had given a letter in another format that the lien has been satisfied. However the AAA guys are telling me that they definitely need Form 166.
    Also when I bought the car it had CA registration. The registration would expire on 10th Oct.

Being new to US I took the seller to DMV with me and then submitted the title transfer documents. I was not aware of all these complications.

As I previously noted, I think the best and fastest way of getting the title is the defective title bond.

Get yourself down to the DMV office and find out if you can do that and how you need to do it.

If it had a CA registration, it had a CA title. The seller was also supposed to provide proof it had passed inspection.

Thanks!
    Does defective title bond same as salvage title? In carfax report would it report clean title?

View Post
    Thanks!
    Does defective title bond same as salvage title? In carfax report would it report clean title?
    No it's not the same. But I don't know if the title would be branded as bonded.

Besides, what difference does it make. Getting any title is better than having no title.

1. Sponsored Links