My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: CT

Not sure if this is the right subforum. Basically I moved from CT to CA exactly 2 years ago for a new job. I moved to CA, established residency, got a CA drivers license, registered my car at the CA DMV, switched my car lease so that the sales tax piece of the monthly payment was based on CA tax rate, switched over my car insurance to CA, etc, etc. I never got around to returning my plates to the CT DMV. 2 years later and CT is trying to bill me for $2k in unpaid car tax for time period after which I moved I'm guessing all because I never officially returned the plates. There's nothing else tying me to CT. I stopped paying CT state taxes on my paychecks when HR changed my address in the system right after I moved. I don't own a house in CT. I don't have family in CT. I haven't stepped foot in CT since I left. What do I do? I'm freaking out. I've been ignoring the problem thinking it will go away, but my lease is almost up and I need to get this straightened out. I'm so upset right now that I can't even sleep.