Default Claiming Injuries in a Car Accident

Hello:

If you read-end someone, you are at fault. So if the person you hit tells the officer ar the scene that they have NO injuries and they are completely fine, how can they claim that they are hurt later to the at-fault persons insurance company? What's the best way to handle this? Thanks

Default Re: Claiming Injuries in Car Accident

Quote Quoting rb112
    View Post
    Hello:

If you read-end someone, you are at fault. So if the person you hit tells the officer ar the scene that they have NO injuries and they are completely fine, how can they claim that they are hurt later to the at-fault persons insurance company? What's the best way to handle this? Thanks
    The best way to handle it is to let your insurance company handle it. They know what they are doing. Sometimes injuries don't manifest immediately. Sometimes at the scene, when adrenalin is high, people don't realize that they really do need medical attention.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    The best way to handle it is to let your insurance company handle it. They know what they are doing. Sometimes injuries don't manifest immediately. Sometimes at the scene, when adrenalin is high, people don't realize that they really do need medical attention.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply. My concern is that that person could go on claiming anything and everything, whether or not it really occured in their body. Just frustrated as to why my insurance company likes to encourage the victim to take claims out against us.

Quote Quoting rb112
    View Post
    That makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply. My concern is that that person could go on claiming anything and everything, whether or not it really occured in their body. Just frustrated as to why my insurance company likes to encourage the victim to take claims out against us.
    Your insurance company doesn't do that. Its not in their best interest to do that. However, the insurance company does have to review the claim and then make a decision. It kind of like "due process" in court. In court, a judge has to hear all of the testimony before making a decision. An insurance company also has to completely investigate before making a decision. They cannot just refuse to accept a claim without investigation.

Okay. So what would be the next steps from here after they have told the insurance that they are hurt? Thanks!

Quote Quoting rb112
    View Post
    Okay. So what would be the next steps from here after they have told the insurance that they are hurt? Thanks!
    The insurance company will investigate and decide whether or not the claim is valid. If they decide its valid, they will pay out whatever amount they believe is valid. If they decide its not valid, they won't pay. If the party doesn't accept whatever amount the insurance company decides is valid or won't accept that your insurance company believes it not valid, then the party may sue you. If the party sues you then your insurance company will defend you.

In the end, its honestly something that you really don't even need to think about other than responding to whatever your insurance company asks you to respond to. They are going to do all of the work and make all of the decisions.

The whole reason why you have insurance is to let them deal with this sort of thing. They may choose to pay out a claim on a nuisance basis rather than fighting it out in court even if you are 100% in the right. They have to decide based on what makes more sense financially...which also benefits you.

Lighten up...respond to your insurance company when they ask for a response, but otherwise, just let it go.

I hope everything goes alright then. Thank you very much for your help.

llworking is correct. I was rear-ended in 2011 and immediately after the accident I did not really feel any pain but was pumped with adrenaline. I had a bruised eye and temple but thought it was just a bruise. After about an hour after the accident, i could not see very well and had stabbing throbbing pain in my neck and back and was urinating myself and not knowing. I went to urgent care (don't remember how i got there) and was taken to the ER. Today, I still have bladder/bowel problems, left leg and foot always feels asleep and have sharp pains in my chest and abdomen and use a cane most of the time when I walk. I had a concussion, herniated disks in my neck and a herniated disk in my spine that is compressing my spinal cord. Just never know the extent of the injuries especially when your body is pumped full of adrenaline.

Quote Quoting rb112
    View Post
    I hope everything goes alright then. Thank you very much for your help.
    You still don't get it. llworking has been trying to tell you that you don't need to do any hoping for anything. You have paid your insurance company to do that for you.

1. Sponsored Links