Default Who Receives the Insurance Payout After Damage to Inherited Property

My question involves real estate located in the State of: arkansas,

my mother moved into her parents house after they passed. I have never seen any legal documentation of this however the property in question was land and a house that was to be split three ways between her and her two brothers. she took ut and has paid for an insurance policy since 2003 on the house.

It recently burnt down and now the other members are saying the insurance money should be split among them.

My question is since she paid and took out the poilicy in her name doesnt that money belong to her?

Default Re: Who Has Rights on Insurance Policy Party That Took It Out or Parties That Own Pro

rights to what? the benefits or to control it?

and what does this have to do with a life estate?

Default Re: Who Receives the Insurance Payout After Damage to Inherited Property

Quote Quoting kgarner1975
    View Post

My question is since she paid and took out the poilicy in her name doesnt that money belong to her?
    Has the insurance company already paid her?

Default Re: Who Receives the Insurance Payout After Damage to Inherited Property

Quote Quoting kgarner1975
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: arkansas,

my mother moved into her parents house after they passed. I have never seen any legal documentation of this however the property in question was land and a house that was to be split three ways between her and her two brothers. she took ut and has paid for an insurance policy since 2003 on the house.

It recently burnt down and now the other members are saying the insurance money should be split among them.

The insurance money should be used to replace the home that burned down. If there was still a mortgage on the home its absolutely required.

She was either insuring the entire interest of all 3 since she lived there and the money should be equally divided or she committed insurance fraud by insuring property she did not own but representing her 1/3rd as the whole. In the latter she owes an insurance refund of 2/3rds to the insurance company. As a tenant , she is responsible if her actions caused the fire. If she has a life estate, she is responsible to restore the property to its prior state or pay off the owners.

Default Re: Who Has Rights on Insurance Policy Party That Took It Out or Parties That Own Pro

my mother took out a policy on the house, it burnt down, now everyone wanting the money from the insurance that they never paid on, land and house was in a trust but no one can come up with any paper work. i checked and everything (property still in her parents name) but insurance policy is all in her name and yes they wrote a check to her but she hasnt cashed it because her
    brother and brothers heirs wanting a cut of the check

- - - Updated - - -

thanks all i needed to know, i dont speak to her anyways (not because of thise) but trying to keep family from in fighting.

If the property was not conveyed to the trust, then it is part of your grandparent's estate. We have no information about the estate, whether it was probated, whether there was a will that included a pour-over clause that might have conveyed the real estate to the trust. We have no information about the trust, trustee, trustee's defined duties.....

Tell mom to gather up the relevant documentation and have it reviewed by a probate lawyer. If you don't speak to your mother, suggest that the other heirs gather up the relevant documentation and have it reviewed by a probate lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links