My question involves real estate located in the State of: Kansas
The neighbors behind us recently purchased a land survey. They are telling me that my backyard (with is currently in a rectangle) is half theirs (cutting my rectangle into a triangle - very weird layout). The old fence is still in place but the neighbors want to replace it. If they want to follow the new property line do I have to let them? I purchased the house with the understanding that it was all my yard, and they purchased their house with the understanding that their yard was their yard, so I don't want to just hand it over. What should I do?
- I purchased my home in January 2014
- The neighbor purchased her home in April 2014
- The land survey was done Sept 2nd 2014
- The neighbors yard is currently un-fenced.
- My yard is completely fenced and appears to be 10-20 years old.
- The back part of the fence seems to belong to them because the panels are facing into my yard (perhaps they used to have a fence but tore down the sides and left the back side up
- The sides of my fences are mine and connect to the back of the fence.
- We originally agreed to split the cost of replacing the back portion of the fence with them. (I obviously wont want to split that cost if i have to give up half of my yard)