Post Divorcing a Spouse You've Sponsored as an Immigrant

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Pennsylvania

I am a US citizen, my wife is from Ghana and her daughter from Germany. We married 11/2011 and filed USCIS Form I-751 back in June for both her and her daughter. No answer has been received yet. I want to start divorce proceedings and I'm looking for a lawyer in the Philadelphia area who is familiar with this sort of immigration "stuff". Thanks...

Default Re: "Immigration Lawyer In/Around Philadelphia, Pennsylvania"

Immigration "stuff" really plays no part. Unless she is found to have falsified her application paperwork or the marriage is deemed fraudulent on her part, she is likely to get her permanent citizenship and you will be responsible for the affidavit of support sent to sponsor her if she chooses not to work.

Thanks for your response, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm looking for a lawyer in my area who is equipped to handle an immigration issue if it should come up. Thanks again...

What immigration issue do you believe to be relevant to your divorce? You can look for a lawyer who handles both divorce and immigration cases, although that would be something of an odd combination. You can look for a law firm that employs both divorce and immigration lawyers, such that an immigration lawyer can be brought into your case as needed....

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    What immigration issue do you believe to be relevant to your divorce? You can look for a lawyer who handles both divorce and immigration cases, although that would be something of an odd combination. You can look for a law firm that employs both divorce and immigration lawyers, such that an immigration lawyer can be brought into your case as needed....
    I don't think he is asking for a divorce attorney, just an immigration attorney.

incrisisneedhelp - this forum does not give out attorney referrals if that is what you are looking for.

​The latter would be preferred. Thanks...

Quote Quoting incrisisneedhelp
    View Post
    ​The latter would be preferred. Thanks...
    This forum does not give out attorney referrals. But if you want some general advice, look for PA appellate cases on immigration that are as similar in facts to your situation as possible. Then look to see who represented the prevailing party and contact them.

You can research appellate case law on google scholar.

Quote Quoting JulesJam
    View Post
    I don't think he is asking for a divorce attorney, just an immigration attorney.
    If he already has a divorce lawyer, he should be talking to his divorce lawyer about the perceived need for another attorney to assist with immigration issues.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If he already has a divorce lawyer, he should be talking to his divorce lawyer about the perceived need for another attorney to assist with immigration issues.
    I don't think he does have a divorce lawyer. I suspect he will handle the divorce pro se.

​Thanks for your help...

1. Sponsored Links