Default Can a Sixteen Year Old Get Emancipated

I wasn't sure if this is considered "civil rights" or not, but here goes. I am 16, living in the state of Oklahoma and have been considering emancipation for a while. My mom refuses to work and takes all of my money to spend on herself, and my dad does nothing about it. My parents both constantly accuse me of "driving them to divorce." I am not a problem child, I am a strait A student and after my mom quit the job she had, all she does is go shopping with MY MONEY. She made me get a job and takes every paycheck and my dad doesn't and won't do anything about it because "he doesn't want to hear it." I know emancipation is a good way to get a head-start on life and it's that extra step to becoming an adult. My parents both make me pay "rent" (about $300 a month plus $200 for insurance, phone bill.) and I understand the $200. It's reasonable, but isn't it illegal to make your child pay rent? At least before they're 18? I just have a lot if questions that need answered. Someone please help!

Default Re: Oklahoma Emancipation Process

Nope. Not civil rights. But keep it here since you started it here. We all read all the boards anyway.

As for your mother making you work and taking your money, I don't know what to tell you. You could have said no to getting a job in the first place, you could deny her the money, you can quit your job now. I don't know of any law that prevents a parent from having a working child contribute to the house.

Here are the statutes regarding emancipation:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...STOKST&level=1

Then find Title 10 Sections 91 through 94

Unfortunately, the statutes are not very helpful and I was not able to locate any forms or sample petitions nor any procedural information on the Oklahoma courts website.

Try dropping in on your local Legal Aid office and see if they can help. If not then you will have to pay a lawyer for help, one that does family law, I suppose.

Quote Quoting Kdhudgi
    View Post
    I wasn't sure if this is considered "civil rights" or not, but here goes. I am 16, living in the state of Oklahoma and have been considering emancipation for a while. My mom refuses to work and takes all of my money to spend on herself, and my dad does nothing about it. My parents both constantly accuse me of "driving them to divorce." I am not a problem child, I am a strait A student and after my mom quit the job she had, all she does is go shopping with MY MONEY. She made me get a job and takes every paycheck and my dad doesn't and won't do anything about it because "he doesn't want to hear it." I know emancipation is a good way to get a head-start on life and it's that extra step to becoming an adult. My parents both make me pay "rent" (about $300 a month plus $200 for insurance, phone bill.) and I understand the $200. It's reasonable, but isn't it illegal to make your child pay rent? At least before they're 18? I just have a lot if questions that need answered. Someone please help!
    Emancipation doesn't do what you think it does. In your state, it means nothing at all except giving the minor certain rights...none of which involve you leaving home without consent.

Read this: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45783

(what's with all the Oky kids this afternoon?!)

No, as a matter of fact it's not illegal to make your under-18 child pay rent

1. Sponsored Links