Default Insurance Coverage When the Driver Isn't Listed on the Insurance Policy

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: California

Hey guys, I was involved in a MINOR accident a couple of days ago.
    6:30 AM on my way to work I didn't pay attention at a red light and my car rolled into the guy in front of me, max speed 2mph.
    NO damage whatsoever to either cars.

Guy said he's fine and that he won't be making claim since nothing happened, we still switched insurance and the guy took my phone number "just in case he does something, he will talk to me first."
    I went ahead and took pictures of the cars, his insurance and I.D and sent it to my insurance company. I let them know what happened and that neither car or person was hurt or damaged in anyway.
    BUT, I was in my mom's car which is insured under her name but I'm not on the additional drivers list.
    I have my own insurance on my car.
    Was driving her's to work because my car was at the mechanic shop and this happens.

My question is, can I get into any headaches because I'm not under her policy even though I'm insured myself?
    Plus, how the heck can this guy make a claim for damages when there wasn't any?

Default Re: Insurance Coverage When the Driver Isn't Listed on the Insurance Policy

Your parents will need to investigate with their insurance company to determine whether or not you should have been listed on their policy under the full facts of your situation and, if so, whether they can get any coverage despite the omission.

We have no way of telling you whether or not there is any damage. Sometimes damage occurs that is not immediately apparent.

Default Re: Insurance Coverage When the Driver Isn't Listed on the Insurance Policy

And sometimes injury occurs when none is immediately apparent. You were wise to take photos of the cars where the impact occurred.

As for coverage, generally when you use another person's car with permission you are defined as an "insured" under that person's policy.

There could be some exceptions.

If you are a resident of your Mom's household and not disclosed as a driver in the household she could have trouble.

If there was a named driver exclusion and you drove her car, there could be trouble.

In the absence of those two factors, there shouldn't be an issue. But the insurance follows the car, so her insurance company should be notified of the accident.

Your own insurance company is not likely to cover the accident because it wasn't in your car and the car owner's insurance would likely be primary.

But I agree with Mr K that your Mom will have to report this to her insurance company.

I worked in a body shop for a couple of years, I know how lightly I tapped that guys rear bumper. The front bumper on my moms car is made out of fiberglass and that didn't even get a scratch on it, so I know for sure this guys car received no damages..

As far as injury goes, how do you get injured if your car doesn't even move from the bumper tap?
    The guys trying to milk me for money, fraud if you'd like to call it.

Thanks for the help tho!

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, that makes sense. Thanks a lot for your help!

Quote Quoting GregB
    View Post

As far as injury goes, how do you get injured if your car doesn't even move from the bumper tap?
    The guys trying to milk me for money, fraud if you'd like to call it.
    Bumpers are rather resilient these days and can bounce back with no apparent damage. However, even a slight tap can be a jolt to a driver who isn't expecting it. If he's got a few aches and pains, well, you hit him and he's entitled to get what he can out of it.

Leave that to the insurance company.

1. Sponsored Links