Default Rental Car Stolen from Rental Company Parking Lot After a Night Time Drop-Off

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Michigan

I hope this is the right place to post.
    My daughter returned her rental car to Enterprise. In their lot, 21 days ago.
    Yesterday they left her a nasty message, that they were reporting the car stolen!
    She arrived after hours. Parked the car and set the alarm. Dropped keys in the
    drop box. And made sure they went all the way in the box.
    After all this time , they just contact her ! Is that not what a drop box is for?
    You check it every morning, so the customer is not charged a extra day.
    I don't understand how she could be liable for this, or am I totally wrong.

She just graduated at the State University. This was her first trip anywhere,
    and first rental.

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: My Rental Car Was Stolen from Rental Car Lot

Quote Quoting Rob b
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Michigan

I hope this is the right place to post.
    My daughter returned her rental car to Enterprise. In their lot, 21 days ago.
    Yesterday they left her a nasty message, that they were reporting the car stolen!
    She arrived after hours. Parked the car and set the alarm. Dropped keys in the
    drop box. And made sure they went all the way in the box.
    After all this time , they just contact her ! Is that not what a drop box is for?
    You check it every morning, so the customer is not charged a extra day.
    I don't understand how she could be liable for this, or am I totally wrong.

She just graduated at the State University. This was her first trip anywhere,
    and first rental.

Thanks for any input.
    She needs to call them. I suspect that they made a mistake. Enterprise does not wait 21 days to check on a car that is overdue back. I rent from them fairly frequently and they always call me within a day if I haven't gotten back to them to tell them I am extending.

She is going to call them when they open this morning. The message was left yesterday late
    afternoon, just before they closed for the day.
    I was just awake most of the night....

Enterprise has all kinds of storefronts and often times in malls where cars are parked for all kinds of different stores. If this is the type of location where she left the car, it is possible that the car may have been towed from the lot as abandoned. You just never know. So check with the local police and the property management.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

In any event, even when you use the after hours drop service you are responsible for the vehicle until the vehicle is checked in on the next business day. So if the car came up missing during the night (which happens because car thieves know people are stupid enough to use the service), she might want to go ahead and call her insurance company because she's responsible for the stolen car.

I also suspect that although this is the first time, you're hearing about their calls to your daughter, this isn't the first time your daughter is hearing about this mysterious vanishing vehicle

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    In any event, even when you use the after hours drop service you are responsible for the vehicle until the vehicle is checked in on the next business day. So if the car came up missing during the night (which happens because car thieves know people are stupid enough to use the service), she might want to go ahead and call her insurance company because she's responsible for the stolen car.

I also suspect that although this is the first time, you're hearing about their calls to your daughter, this isn't the first time your daughter is hearing about this mysterious vanishing vehicle
    I still think it could be a mistake. Even if the car was stolen, the keys would have been in the drop box and those are usually connected to the alarm system for the building. Therefore they would have known that the car was missing immediately.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I still think it could be a mistake. Even if the car was stolen, the keys would have been in the drop box and those are usually connected to the alarm system for the building. Therefore they would have known that the car was missing immediately.
    Who says the thieves have the keys? Who says the box is connected to the alarm system? And again... this is a third party telling the story. Who says this is the first time the DAUGHTER is hearing of all of this?

1. Sponsored Links