Default Grandparent's Options When the Parents' Rights May be Terminated

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: North Carolina

I have had custody of my 4 yr old grandson for 2 years. His half-siblings, girls, age 3 and 1 are currently in foster care in NC. So far I have not been at any of the hearings as I really believed they would be returned to my daughter and her boyfriend. Now there is a hearing coming up that may decide if they will be placed for adoption. Although because I already have one child and he has a disability, I don't feel that I can take on the girls on a permanent basis. That is a lot of children under the age of four and I still work full-time. I have been asked to come to the custody hearing but I don't understand quite why I am being asked and there hasn't been an answer so far. Of course, I would like to stay in these girls lives but is there a point to attending a hearing if I can't take custody? What other arrangements might be possible? Visitation? I am in the state of Virginia, they are in North Carolina. Thank you

Default Re: Grandparent's Options When the Parents' Rights May be Terminated

Quote Quoting shadowfax407
    View Post
    I have been asked to come to the custody hearing but I don't understand quite why I am being asked and there hasn't been an answer so far.
    Who asked you to attend? Have you asked them what they want? e.g., Testimony, an offer to take the placement?
    Quote Quoting shadowfax407
    What other arrangements might be possible? Visitation?
    If the parents' rights are terminated and the children adopted, subsequent contact would normally be at the sole discretion of the adoptive parents.

Default Re: Grandparent's Options When the Parents' Rights May be Terminated

thank you for your reply. The guardian ad litem asked me to attend. I haven't gotten a response to my email yet about why I am being asked.

I think that I will attend the hearing, in case there is chance that I will be able to still have some contact with my granddaughters. Since I have not been subpoenaed I would not imagine that I would be asked to testify. I just prefer to know what I am walking into and will continue to try and find out before the hearing.

1. Sponsored Links