Question Can You Distribute an Estate Without Probate if the Heirs Agree

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Missouri

My father dies a little over a week ago. He was 78 and not in the best health, but it was still a shock. He leaves behind just us 3 daughters, as my mother passed in 2008. He was pretty broke when he died, living off of Social Sec and a small Air Force retirement. All he owned was a house worth less than $30k which my older sister lived in with him (she was his caretaker). He has about $5,000 in the bank after his funeral costs.

My older sister would like to keep the house, and my younger sister and myself agreed to this. My younger sister would like her debt to my father forgiven (about $8k), and my older sister and I agree to that. The cash is all that is left, so I would get that (which they both agree to).

My question is this, do we need to involve the courts at all since we all seem to agree on the division of the property?

Default Re: Father Died, No Will, No Arguments

Quote Quoting Bexinmo
    View Post
    My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Missouri

My father dies a little over a week ago. He was 78 and not in the best health, but it was still a shock. He leaves behind just us 3 daughters, as my mother passed in 2008. He was pretty broke when he died, living off of Social Sec and a small Air Force retirement. All he owned was a house worth less than $30k which my older sister lived in with him (she was his caretaker). He has about $5,000 in the bank after his funeral costs.

My older sister would like to keep the house, and my younger sister and myself agreed to this. My younger sister would like her debt to my father forgiven (about $8k), and my older sister and I agree to that. The cash is all that is left, so I would get that (which they both agree to).

My question is this, do we need to involve the courts at all since we all seem to agree on the division of the property?
    Unless MO has a provision in the law for handling small estates, his estate would have to be probated in order to transfer the house into your sister's name...and to be able to access the money in the bank. (unless your sister was also on his account). Get a quick consult with a probate lawyer.

Default Re: Can You Distribute an Estate Without Probate if the Heirs Agree

Read this, including the small estate provisions on page 5.

Default Re: Can You Distribute an Estate Without Probate if the Heirs Agree

Thanks. Y'all have been a great help. My sister is on the account but I guess we should wait and consult a lawyer to work this stuff out legally.

1. Sponsored Links