Default Adopting a family member

My sister gave birth to three children. Her first at seventeen and her second at 19. She married the father of these two children but divorced after a few years. She was the kind of mother that would drop her kids off at my parents and not rerurn for days and days. She also got pretty rough with the children in front of me and my parents. I was a child when this all happened and I do blame my parents for not reporting her abuse. I am a social worker now but I specialize in developmental disabilities and do not have the expertise in family law. Anyway, my sister has a mental illness that she self medicates with drugs and liquor. In 2002 she met a man that was educated and it really seemed that she did very well while she was with him. Then she got pregnant, again. When the baby was five weeks old she started asking me to babysit then she would not come back for days and I would have to miss work. One night I decided to say no so that I did not have to miss work the next day. The three children stayed home with this new boyfriend and he molested the oldest daughter. He was arrested and sentenced to 30 yrs in prison. Through all the proof and her daughter plea for help she did not believe her and left her children with my parents to party and would not return for weeks at a time. The oldest two children eventually went to their natural father and the baby was now 13 mos old and living with my parents. My mother called me and asked me and my new husband to take the baby. I explained that I would only do it if we got legal guardianship and my sister would not be a part of our life. They agreed because of my sisters violent past. My sister did not show for court but only called at 3am with slirred speach. She wanted to see the baby so I offered her a meeting with our lawyer but she did not show up. We tried to adopt the baby but ran out of money in the middle of the adoption because the baby got sick and we have medical bills. It has been three years and the adoption is not final. I am now pregnant with our first natural child (surprise!) and now my sister wants visitation rights. I am afraid of her and her physical and mental history. Not only my safety but my daughters and my unborn baby's. She has not contacted my husband and I only my parents. She says she is going to file suit for rights. She is now pregnant again by a man who is financially secure and willing to pay her legal fees. We have no money left, our savings is as good as gone to pay the baby's medical. This baby has become our daughter and we have a very happy life. My question is that if we did the newspaper ad looking and informing her of the adoption and it has been three years, can she really gain any rights to see her? Can she take her away? Should we allow her to see her at a public place or would that establish a relationship between her and the baby? We have legal custody now and live in the state of Indiana. Thanks for any help provided.

Default Re: Adopting a family member

I need to clarify one thing, my sister is stating that if we let her see the baby she will not seek legal counsel.

You didn't complete the adoption, so she still has parental rights and can request that a court grant her visitation.

In your opinion do you think it would be wise to allow her to see the child without a court order? We cannot afford an attorney since we are still paying on the medical bills. We will not be able to fight her...
    Our first lawyer took a $1500 retainer and did not give us a breakdown of what that retainer paid for and then she took and moved away.(Is that legal?) I left messages but she did not ever return my calls. She is the one that we went to court and got guardianship but that is all that she did. Our second lawyer took another $1500 retainer and got our custody papers signed by a judge, newspaper ad then ran out of the retainer. We told her that we needed things to be put on hold for financial reasons then she dropped our case. We told her that we no longer have the means to pay So, after $3000.00 we are left with just custody. At this point we are scraping by and making sure that this child receives medical attention, education, warm place to sleep and nutrition is the best that we can do at this time. When we took this child we made a promise to her that we would protect her. My sister states that she would just like to be the Aunt and not say anything to the child until the time is right.

Thanks but we would not qualify for assistance since our income is too high

1. Sponsored Links