Default Passing a School Bus on a Four Lane Highway

My question involves an injury-based situation that occurred in the state of: MA.

If driving on a four-lane highway that is without a barrier, but is facing heavy traffic, it is not uncommon that there will be a school bus coming in the opposite direction. If you stop as the school bus stops three lanes away, as the law requires, but are about to be rear-ended by a car that doesn't see the school bus(the school buses can be incredibly difficult to see across a four lane highway that's lacking a barrier,) are you legally required to absorb the hit of the car behind you, or is accident evasion a defense to passing a school bus that's three lanes away in the opposite direction?

Default Re: Hypothetical Four-Lane Highway School Bus Scenarios

Sorry, we don't do hypotheticals.

Laws vary by state.

I'll play along. OP, common sense would dicatate that if you know you will (or are likely to) be involved in an accident, you would be best served to avoid that accident, if possible. In your hypothetical, I would ignore the school bus and move my car as to avoid being involved in an accident. If someone wants to call the police and have me cited, I'll deal with it at that point. Find me a law that says I am required to allow myself to be rear-ended in lieu of remaining stopped for a school bus. I also think the fines for not yielding to a school bus would be less than the insurance deductible and medical expenses that would result due to being rear-ended.

1. Sponsored Links