Default Judgment While on Unemployment Benefits

My question involves judgment recovery in the State of: Washington

I recently had a judgment on my credit union account. I have been receiving unemployment benefits as my sole source of income for the last three-four weeks and the amount they took was all unemployment money.

A similar thing happened years ago and I found the law that said I was exempt from being judged on state benefits and got my money back after faxing the collection agency the law and copies of my bank statements that showed my income was from unemployment.

Can someone help me find the law again or know what the statues of limitations are for WA state?

Thanks,

Default Re: Judgment While on Unemployment Benefits

As a general rule, Washington judgments are valid for ten years, and can be renewed for a period of up to an additional ten years.

Default Re: Judgment While on Unemployment Benefits

Quote Quoting evanlockhart
    View Post
    My question involves judgment recovery in the State of: Washington

I recently had a judgment on my credit union account. I have been receiving unemployment benefits as my sole source of income for the last three-four weeks and the amount they took was all unemployment money.

A similar thing happened years ago and I found the law that said I was exempt from being judged on state benefits and got my money back after faxing the collection agency the law and copies of my bank statements that showed my income was from unemployment.

Can someone help me find the law again.
    Here's the law. It's RCW 50.40.020 of the Unemployment Compensation statute:

RCW 50.40.020

Exemption of benefits.

Any assignment, pledge, or encumbrance of any right to benefits which are or may become due or payable under this title shall be void. Such rights to benefits shall be exempt from levy, execution, attachment, or any other remedy whatsoever provided for the collection of debts, except as provided in RCW 50.40.050. Benefits received by any individual, so long as they are not commingled with other funds of the recipient, shall be exempt from any remedy whatsoever for collection of all debts except debts incurred for necessaries furnished such individual or his or her spouse or dependents during the time when such individual was unemployed. Any waiver of any exemption provided for in this section shall be void.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=50.40.020

1. Sponsored Links