Default Exchanging Sex for Services

My question involves criminal law for the state of: unknown

My question is for a short story that I have been thinking about writing. The concept is about a tragic victim of his own folly.
    He is asked to do some repairs on a young woman's apartment, she can't afford to pay for the repairs after the bill is presented
    so she offers herself in exchange for the amount due. She is a prostitute but our victim hasn't figured that out yet. Would
    an act of barter of this nature be considered illegal? No money was actually exchanged but I suspect that this is against the law,
    and the tragic victim could be arrested, am I correct?

Default Re: Exchanging Sex for Services

Laws are different in each state.

How do you propose that the police would find out about your "tragic victim"? Do you picture the woman going to the police and confessing to prostitution?

I was thinking that the prostitute is under a watchful eye of LE. Our tragic victim is stopped after leaving the prostitute's apartment and questioned. If he tells the police the truth is he in violation of the law?

I guess it depends on my original question. If it is legal to barter for sex than I will exclude this scene.

Quote Quoting hkb
    View Post
    I was thinking that the prostitute is under a watchful eye of LE. Our tragic victim is stopped after leaving the prostitute's apartment and questioned. If he tells the police the truth is he in violation of the law?
    The police would be watching her unit for what reason? He would be stopped by the police for what reason? Why in response to that questioning would he think it's a good idea to say that he traded sex for his "handyman" services? It's your story -- you can write it any way you want -- but I'm not seeing that it makes much sense.

There is no state called "unknown", so you still need to decide what state you're asking about. Or, since it's fiction, you can make up laws without identifying the state, or even make up laws for an actual state. Few writers of fiction pay much heed to the actual law if it interferes with telling a good story.

1. Sponsored Links