Default Abandoned Mobile Home on Private Property

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Maine

I recently purchased a property that has an abandoned mobile home on it. The owners have gutted the place and left a huge mess, doubt I'll ever see them again. I want to clean up this mess to re-rent the lot. I've researched the Maine.gov website but all it addresses is if it is in a "mobile home park". Is the law different for a mobile home on private property?

Also, if I claim this mobile home am I responsible for the unpaid property taxes from the town?

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Default Re: Abandoned Mobile Home on Private Property

By "mobile home", I assume you're talking about a manufactured home, not a camper-type vehicle. A manufactured home has a title -- have you determined the identity of the title owner? If you have confirmed that there is a tax debt owed on the home, presumably you have also identified the title owner from the tax record.

Thanks for the reply, not sure why this post ended up in this forum, hahah. Yes, I am referring to a manufactured home. I know who the owners are but all attempts to contact them have come up empty. The phone number I have for them is no longer in service. So like motor vehicles, do old manufactured homes have a title? I was told by the neighbors that the town has a tax lien on it - i don't know how they know that. So another question is at what point is it no longer considered a livable manufactured home? It's probably 50% demolished with debris strewn everywhere.

A mobile home can maintain its own characteristic as titled property or the title can be surrendered when permanently affixed to a lot and it becomes a home. It sounds like the title was surrendered and it is now considered a part of the property. To determine which it is, contact the local tax assessor.

Quote Quoting TmikeyG
    View Post
    Thanks for the reply, not sure why this post ended up in this forum, hahah. Yes, I am referring to a manufactured home. I know who the owners are but all attempts to contact them have come up empty. The phone number I have for them is no longer in service. So like motor vehicles, do old manufactured homes have a title? I was told by the neighbors that the town has a tax lien on it - i don't know how they know that. So another question is at what point is it no longer considered a livable manufactured home? It's probably 50% demolished with debris strewn everywhere.
    Why the heck did you buy the property with a mobile home on it?

And why didn't you insist on it being removed before closing?

And if you wanted the mobile home why didn't you make sure it was part of the deal and get title to it at closing?

Did you go into this deal with your eyes closed?

OK, let me be a little more specific. The mobile home is owned by a 3rd party who paid a lot rent to live there. I purchased the land only and the folks I bought it from did not own the mobile home either. The owners of the mobile home tore it apart and left in the middle of the night so to speak.

Adjusterjack: yes, I knew exactly what I was getting into, I bought it from an older couple who no longer wanted to deal with it and they gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. I just want to make sure I go through the correct legal action before I have it hauled off to the landfill.

You should call the Office of the State Treasurer to find out what you need to in Maine to declare the property abandoned before you remove it. There are rules for mobile park owners (which you are not). So you should find out what you need to do or you could be found liable for the value whatever that might be.

Quote Quoting TmikeyG
    View Post
    Adjusterjack: yes, I knew exactly what I was getting into, I bought it from an older couple who no longer wanted to deal with it and they gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. I just want to make sure I go through the correct legal action before I have it hauled off to the landfill.
    OK.

Here's the Maine statute regarding tenants' abandoned personal property (a mobile home is personal property):

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/14/title14sec6013.html

Follow the procedures.

Quote Quoting TmikeyG
    View Post
    I've researched the Maine.gov website but all it addresses is if it is in a "mobile home park". Is the law different for a mobile home on private property?
    If you rent to two or more tenants who maintain mobile homes on the property, it's a park and is subject to all of those additional statutes.

You should check to see if there is a lien holder.

The abandoned mobile home law and abandoned property law read almost the same way. I'll follow the steps and call it good enough. I'll never see these people again and if i do let them sue me. It will cost me $$ to clean it up.Good riddance. Thanks for everyones input

1. Sponsored Links