Hybrid View

Question Should I Apply for Court Supervision if Already Under Supervision for Another Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Illinois

Hello all, let me start from the beginning:

About a month and a half ago, I was involved in a very mild car accident, in which I rear-ended another vehicle. I received a ticket for "failure to reduce my speed to avoid an accident", which I've never even heard of before.
    I went to court and I accepted to declare myself guilty, pay the fine, go to traffic school and be in court supervision for six months (ending in December), with the incentive that it would be off my record.
    The judge and the clerk told me I didn't have to pay right there to sign up for driving school, as long as I did it before October, and since I didn't have cash, I decided to send the payment later.

Today, July 7th, I got a ticket for speeding (85 on a 70) but I am not required to go to court and received an application for court supervision and traffic school from a different county. The cop told me that if I did this, this ticket would go away.

My questions are:
    Am I already in court supervision, even if I haven't paid the fine or registered for traffic school?
    If I apply for this second court supervision, from a different county, will I get approved?
    What will happen with my original court supervision and how will that look on my record?
    What should I do with this second ticket?

Meanwhile, I am abstaining from driving while I figure this out, as I need sometime to think and I do not want to risk getting another citation.

Any help and advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Should I Apply for Court Supervision if Already Under Supervision for Another Tic

You have told us that you are under court supervision for the first ticket, so according to you, you are already under court supervision. If your failure to pay fines or register for traffic school have disqualified you from court supervision, something we cannot verify for you, that initial offer of supervision may now be a conviction. I suggest that you start taking your responsibilities to the court more seriously, and determine the status of that ticket. If you are found to have violated court supervision by getting the new ticket, that can result in your being convicted of the first offense along with the second.

If the court is aware that you are under supervision in another county, the odds of your getting supervision a second time will be significantly reduced. The rest depends on the policies of the prosecutor and court, and the full facts.

At this point you may benefit from consulting a lawyer who handles traffic court matters.

1. Sponsored Links