Default Ticket for an Unlawful Window Tint in Michigan

Hello everyone,

Sometime last week, I was on my way home from my evening class. Initially, I got pulled over for speeding (83 on 70) then he noticed that I had tints on all of my windows except the windshield. He wrote me a ticket for going 6-10 over the speed limit (1 point) and the window tints (MCL 257.709; 2 points). I was appalled that he didn't mention anything about removing the tint off the front windows and/or giving me a 'fix-it' ticket. Now, I was well aware that any tint on the front windows are illegal in the state of Michigan when I got them done but this is my very first traffic ticket. I believe writing me up for 2 points for my tints is excessive, in my opinion.

If I were to appear to court and show that I took off the tints off, what are the chances of the judge/officer waving it off or lessen the fine? I am going to take full responsibility for my speeding but it's worth a shot to get as much points off my record as I can.

Thank you!

Default Re: Ticket for an Unlawful Window Tint in Michigan

The officer doesn't have to explain anything to you. The explanation would ordinarily be written right on the ticket. A ticket for violating MCL 257.907 falls under MCL 257.683, "A person shall not do an act forbidden or fail to perform an act required under sections 683 to 711", and thus under MCL 257.907(9),
    Quote Quoting MCL 257.907(9)
    (9) If a person has received a civil infraction citation for defective safety equipment on a vehicle under section 683, the court shall waive a civil fine, costs, and assessments upon receipt of certification by a law enforcement agency that repair of the defective equipment was made before the appearance date on the citation.
    There may even be a space on the ticket for you to have a law enforcement agency certify the correction of the unlawful tint. You can contact the court where the ticket was filed to determine when and how they will accept proof of correction -- there's a decent chance that you can submit your proof to the clerk.

1. Sponsored Links