Default Anaphylactic Shock and Cardiac Arrest from Anesthesia Resulting in Death

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: CA

Hello, Recently my sister was having oral surgery. During the procedure, her O2 saturation dropped. The surgeon stopped the procedure, readjusted her and was able to get her 02 saturation to an acceptable rate and he continued with the procedure. This happened again. He adjusted again and proceeded on. Then it happened for a 3rd time. At that point, he realized that she was in anaphylactic shock and cardiac arrest. From there, everything went bad. With the swelling from anaphylactic shock, he did a trachesostomy and incubated her.

Upon arrival at the ER, it was discovered that the incubation tube was improperly placed. This resulted in extensive brain damage, with no chance of recovery and death.

At this point, we do have an appointment with a medical malpractice attorney. I was just wondering if we should also file a complaint with the state medical board and dental board? It appears that there very well could of been an overdose of anesthesia.

Thank you advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Default Re: Anaphylactic Shock and Cardiac Arrest from Anesthesia Resulting in Death

Quote Quoting flwrjunke
    View Post
    It appears that there very well could of been an overdose of anesthesia.

Or it could have been an undiagnosed allergy to the anesthesia that was used if she did have an anaphylactic reaction.

As to the rest, wait and see what the med-mal attorney says.

Default Re: Anaphylactic Shock and Cardiac Arrest from Anesthesia Resulting in Death

Quote Quoting flwrjunke
    View Post
    My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: CA

Hello, Recently my sister was having oral surgery. During the procedure, her O2 saturation dropped. The surgeon stopped the procedure, readjusted her and was able to get her 02 saturation to an acceptable rate and he continued with the procedure. This happened again. He adjusted again and proceeded on. Then it happened for a 3rd time. At that point, he realized that she was in anaphylactic shock and cardiac arrest. From there, everything went bad. With the swelling from anaphylactic shock, he did a trachesostomy and incubated her.

Upon arrival at the ER, it was discovered that the incubation tube was improperly placed. This resulted in extensive brain damage, with no chance of recovery and death.

At this point, we do have an appointment with a medical malpractice attorney. I was just wondering if we should also file a complaint with the state medical board and dental board? It appears that there very well could of been an overdose of anesthesia.

Please understand that a bad outcome does not mean there's a case for malpractice. I believe it's far too early to start filing complaints against the boards.

- - - Updated - - -

Too much does not equate to anaphylactic shock, either.

1. Sponsored Links