Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to Pay Rent After Foreclosure

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Louisiana

This is my first posting here. If I have posted this in the wrong place, I would appreciate it if one of the Moderators would move it.

How can I confirm that Fannie Mae now owns the property I am renting. I have checked with the parish tax assessors office and the property ownership hasn't changed. I have to pay my rent July 1 and I want to be sure I pay it to the correct person. A realty company has been managing the property. I contacted them today, but I haven't heard back anything.

I received a notice yesterday and attached to it was a business card. I did a search on the Real Estate Agent that is listed on the card and nothing came up with the Louisiana Real Estate Commission or on google stating he was a real estate agent in my area or even Louisiana.

Default Re: Fanniemae Ownersship

I suggest you call him and see what he has to say.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: Louisiana

This is my first posting here. If I have posted this in the wrong place, I would appreciate it if one of the Moderators would move it.

How can I confirm that Fannie Mae now owns the property I am renting. I have checked with the parish tax assessors office and the property ownership hasn't changed. I have to pay my rent July 1 and I want to be sure I pay it to the correct person. A realty company has been managing the property. I contacted them today, but I haven't heard back anything.

I received a notice yesterday and attached to it was a business card. I did a search on the Real Estate Agent that is listed on the card and nothing came up with the Louisiana Real Estate Commission or on google stating he was a real estate agent in my area or even Louisiana.
    What specifically did the notice say?

I did call him, Thursday afternoon. He said he would call me back before 5 pm. I haven't heard from him as of the time of this posting.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a preprinted type notice. It has Fannie Mae in my upper left hand corner and Know Your Options in the upper right hand corner. There are blanks that are filled in with Property Address and Date Of Notice. It states that the property isnow owned by Fannie Mae. It gives 2 options, 1 is staying and the other is moving with assistance. It says you have 10 days to contact the agent and let them know your options or if you want to purchase the property. My concern is that this may have been copied.

Scammers have gotten very smart, if you can call it that. I am going to call the realty company that manages this property Monday. If the agent that manages it isn't in, I'll speak to someone else. There is no way I can pay a month's rent to twice. I have lived here for 9 yrs and this realty company has managed it for 5 yrs. I can prove I received the notice with the agents business card. So if there is something that isn't right, I'm Praying the realty company be able to get it straight. The owner, or previous owner lives in Calif.

View Post
    I did call him, Thursday afternoon. He said he would call me back before 5 pm. I haven't heard from him as of the time of this posting.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a preprinted type notice. It has Fannie Mae in my upper left hand corner and Know Your Options in the upper right hand corner. There are blanks that are filled in with Property Address and Date Of Notice. It states that the property isnow owned by Fannie Mae. It gives 2 options, 1 is staying and the other is moving with assistance. It says you have 10 days to contact the agent and let them know your options or if you want to purchase the property. My concern is that this may have been copied.

Scammers have gotten very smart, if you can call it that. I am going to call the realty company that manages this property Monday. If the agent that manages it isn't in, I'll speak to someone else. There is no way I can pay a month's rent to twice. I have lived here for 9 yrs and this realty company has managed it for 5 yrs. I can prove I received the notice with the agents business card. So if there is something that isn't right, I'm Praying the realty company be able to get it straight. The owner, or previous owner lives in Calif.
    So, you call the agent listed on the letter and (leave a message if necessary) inform him that he needs to provide you some proof that Fannie Mae owns the property and that he is their official representative.
    Don't pay rent to anybody until somebody provides you proof of who owns the property.

I agree that you should be demanding documentation of ownership before paying any rent. If that takes you past the due date make sure you put the money aside and don't spend it.

Two more things:

1 - You should generally be getting 90 days notice of termination of tenancy under federal law.

Read this:

http://www.usfn.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ontentID=13253

2 - You can search recorded deeds in your county or parish land records office and see what foreclosure and ownership documents have been recorded. When property is foreclosed there is usually a progression of documents recorded over a period of time.

Thank you. I am on disability, so the rent money is set aside before I get it. I didn't think to ask for proof of ownership for Fannie Mae. I am so concerned that it might be a scam and I know that document forgery has gotten very good. But, I should be able to call and verify anything with the Parish Deeds Section is that correct ?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You. The last lease I signed was in 2011 with the realty company. Would I be correct in thinking that since I'm without the protection of a lease that the new owners can make me move, instead of signing a new lease with them ?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I forgot to ask this earlier. Isn't the 90 day eviction notice different than the notice I described earlier ? Or are they interchangable ? The notice I received had Fannie Mae in one corner and Knowing Your Options in the other corner. Before the property address and date it says Important Notice To Occupants.

View Post
    Thank you. I am on disability, so the rent money is set aside before I get it. I didn't think to ask for proof of ownership for Fannie Mae. I am so concerned that it might be a scam and I know that document forgery has gotten very good.
    I found the following website called Know Your Options that explains the Tenant-in-Place Rental Program. The Tenant-in-Place Rental Program is not a scam but the letter you received might be if it's from somebody who wants to charge you a few for helping you.

http://knowyouroptions.com/rent/my-r...rental-program

And I confirmed on the Fannie Mae website that Fannie Mae created the Know Your Options site:

https://www.fanniemae.com/singlefami...w-your-options

View Post
    But, I should be able to call and verify anything with the Parish Deeds Section is that correct ?
    You should be able to verify any change of ownership that occurred. I'm not sure you can do it without a visit to the records office. Check to see if your Parish Deeds Section has a website with an online search feature where you can view the documents on your computer. If you have trouble with that, tell me the name of the parish and I'll take a look.

View Post
    Thank You. The last lease I signed was in 2011 with the realty company. Would I be correct in thinking that since I'm without the protection of a lease that the new owners can make me move, instead of signing a new lease with them ?
    The new owners can terminate your tenancy regardless of whether you have a lease or are on month-to-month but you would still have the 90 day notice protection under the federal law.

View Post
    Isn't the 90 day eviction notice different than the notice I described earlier ? Or are they interchangable ? The notice I received had Fannie Mae in one corner and Knowing Your Options in the other corner. Before the property address and date it says Important Notice To Occupants.
    What you received is not a termination notice. It's an option letter and not interchangeable with a termination notice.

Go to the Know Your Options page and check out "Beware Scams" and "FAQ Answers."

Then call that realtor and see what they have to say. Don't commit to anything until you come back to this thread and discuss the results of your call and/or your records search.

Thank You So Much. I will come back here and post after I am able to talk to someone.

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke with the RealEstate Agent who manages this propety for the realty company. She said that FannieMae has taken it over. She also said for me not to pay any rent to them.

There hasn't been anyone in at the realty company that is now suppose to be managing this property, so I haven't been able to speak to anyone there, but I will keep calling.

Whatever you find out on the phone, make sure you verify with documentation.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast