Default Already Married but Kept My Maiden Name

My question involves name change laws in the State of: washington

I got married 2 years ago but kept my maiden name. Now that I moved to Washington I'm interested in taking my husbands last name. I know the state of Washington recognizes the common law name change, but if I do that will I be able to change my name on my drivers license, SSI etc. With a signed notary? I want the cheapest way possible to change my last name, that being the reason im trying to avoid getting a court order.

Default Re: Already Married but Kept My Maiden Name

What state where you married in? Washington doesn't require you to declare a new surname at the time of marriage. If whatever state you were married in is similar, all you need do is get some true copies (the court house you got your license typically does this for a fee) of your marriage certificate.

If you did declare a surname that is different then the one you want to use now, you'll need a court ordered name change.

Either way once you have either the marriage certificate or the court order you can contact the various agencies:

Social Security: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/3401...Security-card-
    Washington state driver's license: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/namechange.html

Default Re: Already Married but Kept My Maiden Name

If you want to go to a SS office or the DMV in person, that will probably suffice.
    If you want to mail it in, you probably will want to get additional "true copies." The SSA needs to see the original.

1. Sponsored Links